Possible Alternative

Hey Florian,

Awesome Awesome tagger ya got here...

Only thing I don't like is the freedb support - I'm not a big fan of the freedb because of the multiple instances of every album etc. - can get somewhat messy.

I am a stickler for tagging my music the correct way and producing filenames that match and your program does this beautifully.

I liked Tag&Rename for only one reason and that wasfor the AMG support it had, when that went out the door because of the TOS I started looking and came across your nice little proggy.

Clean - No BS - That's what I like.

I was wandering around looking at the AMG site to match and make sure a set of freedb tags was correct - which is terribly painful because the AMG site sux, when it occured to me....

Have you thought about using http://ubl.artistdirect.com as a source for the tagging? TOS seems to be OK, might need to read it closer, but might be worth making a parser so that it can grab info from it.

Could be better than the freedb - dunno how many entries it actually has, but it seems to be a fairly complete listing.

Give me some feedback on what you might think about this and whether it might be possible to try it.

I am glad that you haven't gone the route of Amazon or some such... but this could be a valid alternative if at all possible.

I do know that The Godfather has actually used a script to go ahead and use the AMG site but thier program is such a clusterbeep that I am not even interested.

I have actually passed your program on to some other peeps and we all agree it is awesome.

With the addition of a better tagging source and... well my one wee thing is...
I sure would like to have the album art in my file... I know I know I have read the forums, but I like that because I like having it load when I am listening to my music.

Other than that - perfect - easy to use - no extra dumb crap and a clean interface.
MP3Tag doesnt do everything some of the other programs, but it does the things it does beautifully... the things I want it to do.

Keep up the excellent work :slight_smile:

Thanks,
G13

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm already working on a web sources framework for Mp3tag which would make all kinds of websites with album information available to Mp3tag via simple parser scripts for the websites contents.

Best regards,
~ Florian :santa:

Hi Grumb13!

The current Development Build is theoretically able to gather album information from the website you've suggested as possible alternative.

The only thing which remains, is that someone have to create a web source description file based on the example I did for discogs.com.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Why can't mp3tag simply be made to let the user use whichever tagging service or website they want?

Check out the latest Development Build and create web source description files for whatever website you want (take discogs.src as example) :slight_smile:

Best regards,
~ Florian

Is there a tutorial/documentation?

The only documentation is discogs.src at the moment :slight_smile:

If you're interested, I can compile a help topic containing all functions from the scripting language used and the meaning of the fields used in the description file.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Yes, that'd be nice.

Done. :slight_smile:

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions!

Best regards,
~ Florian

Grumb13, are you going to try to attempt this for ubl.artistdirect?

I might try - I'm not a coder or anything but I will have a look.
:flushed:
If I can figure it out, rest assured I'll post something here.

-G

ok, this is what i came up with in 2 hours, didnt recognise the code, so this is the best i could do. Had another little fiddle, was kinda tired when i did it, this should work now. cut out
OK, so it didn't work. i've tried to use the debug command but it just isn't working. The framework help is a great help though, gave me a better understanding about what is being sent and how. Any ideas on why the deboug output isnt working?

artistd.zip (937 Bytes)

Hi shufty,

the problem with your script was, that it was based on the artist search and the web source didn't gave you an album page, but a page with multiple artists. I've reworked your web source definition file and posted it at the announcement thread.

It would be nice, if you can test it :slight_smile: Thanks for your interest!

Best regards,
~ Florian

Thanks for looking at it, Florian. Had a little look and it still doesn't seem to be working: I get an error "Sorry, no entires matching your search criteria" Also had another error, could not connect to discogs when i searched for an album. Not sure why it would be trying to do that and looking at the source for the page, im stumped lol.

Florian,

How do you get the allmusic.src file to show up to use it?

I put it in with the discogs.src file but I'm not getting it showing up or anything.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,
G13

On Windows, click START->RUN. Enter %appdata%
Then browse to Mp3tag\data\sources

Maybe you get this error, because "no entires matching your search criteria" :slight_smile: Try to search for it manually on their website to be sure.

Cheers,
~ Florian

Dano,

I did what you said but the artistdirect.src file doesn't show up... what am I doing wrong?

If I do this correctly will it place a artistdirect dropdown in my web lookup button in the program GUI?

Sorry about this, I must seem dumb as a rock... :huh:

Thanks for your help,
G13

Where's your discogs.src file located?
If you have WinXP, the file should exist 2 times.
try CTR+F in windows explorer to search for both discogs.src files. One of its locations is the one that is used by mp3tag.

Hey Florian,

I have been playing with the new artistdirect.src file and shufty is correct it is not giving back search hits.
I was wondering after looking at the file itself if it could be because the default web search string is "artist" and you have it searching album?
I dunno, but I do know that the albums I am searching are on the website because I did a manual search on 10 or so and they were all there, but none of them came up as hits with the src file.
I think it would work better if its default search string was artist anyway... what do you think? :unsure:

Thanks,
G13