IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Highlighting word(s) search query, Does it exist?
Phixion
post Sep 16 2010, 20:05
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6706
Mp3tag Version: 2.46a

When filtering for certain words in my music I'd like mp3tag to highlight the word I've searched for in the results.

Some titles are quite long and it would be nice to see where the word is at a glance.

Is there an option for this in mp3tag, if not would you consider implementing it?

Many thanks.

This post has been edited by Phixion: Jul 15 2011, 13:58
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phixion
post Sep 18 2010, 22:13
Post #2

No one thinks this is a good idea?

I am suggesting something along the lines of Windows 7 search highlighting:

http://localhostr.com/files/4769a2/Capture.PNG

This post has been edited by Phixion: Sep 18 2010, 22:13

+Quote Post
Phixion
post Jul 15 2011, 13:59
Post #3

Still no response regarding this, was wondering whether it was overlooked...

Please consider this.

Many thanks.

This post has been edited by Phixion: Jul 15 2011, 13:59

+Quote Post
chrizoo
post Jul 16 2011, 16:11
Post #4

Member No.: 6754
Mp3tag Version: 2.49

good idea in my opinion smile.gif

PS: AFAIK, Requests For Enhancement should be posted in http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showforum=7 (at least the forum description says so)

This post has been edited by chrizoo: Jul 16 2011, 16:12

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Jul 16 2011, 20:32
Post #5

Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.66

ZITAT(chrizoo @ Jul 16 2011, 17:11) *
good idea in my opinion smile.gif

I am not so sure. If you apply a filter then the list should be shortened correspondingly. Any sample would then proove if the filter worked as desired or not.
The windows explorer then keeps the filter result but what about the tags: if you start editing them: should the highlighting disappiear? Only in the file you currently edit or all of them. When should the highlighting reappear? How would you distinguish between highlights and selections?
What should happen to highlights if you select a whole file to apply actions? Should the highlighting be inverted?
In general I do not see a real benefit esp. as only very few titles are really long. (Oh yes: and if you have a real long entry and the highlighted word would not be displayed, should the entry be scrolled to give a wrong impression about the real title or shouldn't it scroll and also give the impression that it does not match the filter)
So, in short: I am fine with the way filters are currently displayed.

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / comment était la question

+Quote Post
chrizoo
post Jul 16 2011, 23:14
Post #6

Member No.: 6754
Mp3tag Version: 2.49

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jul 16 2011, 19:32) *
(1a) what about the tags: if you start editing them: should the highlighting disappiear?
(1b) Only in the file you currently edit or all of them?
(1c) When should the highlighting reappear?

(2a) How would you distinguish between highlights and selections?
(2b) Should the highlighting be inverted?

(3) What should happen to highlights if you select a whole file to apply actions?
(4) if you have a real long entry and the highlighted word would not be displayed, should the entry be scrolled to give a wrong impression about the real title or shouldn't it scroll and also give the impression that it does not match the filter?

Valid questions.
The answers to them define the best way of implementation.
They are not prejudicial for the RFE.

There are tons of applications out there featuring implementations which had to deal with this questions. IMO most of the answers are fairly obvious, others are a matter of personal taste.

My personal answers would be:
(1a) it doesn't really matter. I don't think the user still needs the highlighting once he/she starts editing. Plus it's a lot easier to code. So my answer would be yes. (For argument's sake, if you answer no, then IMO 1b should be "only current file" and 1c should either be "never" or "after editing").
(1b) n/a
(1c) n/a
(2a) different background color.
C'mon, that was obvious. My suggestion: selection = dark blue (as is currently), hightlighting = bright yellow (as is standard in most applications [e.g. Mozilla Firefox], including the screenshot posted above)
(2b) what do you mean?
(3) If you answer 1a with yes, then they should stay. Obvious, too. Otherwise they shouldn't.
(4) "give the impression that it does not match the filter" ??? c'mon, that's obviously a no-go. So the answer is the other option (scrolling). The scrolling can be indicated by "[...]", so that it does not "wrong impression about the real title".

Those questions are hardly show-stoppers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 02:18