IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "File Cannot Be Opened For Writing", FLAC files
Comicsnut
post Aug 21 2011, 16:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15103
Mp3tag Version: 2.49

I'm having trouble tagging a specific album. I usually use this program (because it's the best there is) but with this album I've tried other programs and none of them are able to tag them.

It's an album of .FLAC files but when I press "Save Tag" it says "This file cannot be opened for writing".

I've checked permissions and I'm the owner with Full Control - this is just boggling my mind.

Has anyone seen this before? If so can you please advise?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Comicsnut
post Aug 21 2011, 22:50
Post #2

Maybe some more information will help...

Using Windows 7 64bit.

I don't use iTunes or anything other than Winamp. In fact these files haven't even been touched by Winamp.

I tried other .FLAC files, just as large if not larger and it had no problem...they even reside within the same directory as the problem files.

I'm absolutely at a loss.

+Quote Post
ryerman
post Aug 22 2011, 14:03
Post #3

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 10731
Mp3tag Version: 2.65

Is it possible that the files are corrupted or not really FLAC files?
If you rip the files yourself, you can be sure of their quality and authenticity but you can't always trust the file extension for files that are acquired elsewhere.

Software is available that may help you verify the codec. Three programs are; MediaInfo, Audio Identifier, and AudioChecker.

--------------------
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, SP1

+Quote Post
Comicsnut
post Aug 22 2011, 21:46
Post #4

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, these are in fact, .FLAC files.

+Quote Post
DTC1453
post Nov 14 2011, 04:46
Post #5

Member No.: 15569

I have the same problem editing newly created FLAC files. I am batch-converting my CD collection using Nero Kwik Media. MP3Tag can read/write some files perfectly fine, while others show nothing in Codec/bit rate/frequency fields and any attempt to change tags in those result in the same "File cannot be opened for writing" error. None of the files are read-only (in fact, I have a folder where half files is OK and half has problems), and all of them play perfectly fine in VLC.

Win7-64

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Nov 14 2011, 08:17
Post #6

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.66

ZITAT(DTC1453 @ Nov 14 2011, 04:46) *
I have the same problem editing newly created FLAC files. I am batch-converting my CD collection using Nero Kwik Media. MP3Tag can read/write some files perfectly fine, while others show nothing in Codec/bit rate/frequency fields and any attempt to change tags in those result in the same "File cannot be opened for writing" error. None of the files are read-only (in fact, I have a folder where half files is OK and half has problems), and all of them play perfectly fine in VLC.

Win7-64

Windows 7 seems to be a little more beasty concerning access and locking of files. It seems like a good idea not to have any other Explorer window open while editing larger files.
Apparently the indexer and the preview generator grab the files the minute they detect a modification.
So, if you want to edit the files either ...
copy the path from the explorer and merge it into the address inputbox in the tag panel, then close the explorer

...or
use the built-in directory selection methods of mp3tag.

So far my theory (this is how I work and I have not yet experienced this kind of trouble).
Could you please give a feedback?

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / comment était la question

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 03:14