Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [F] Tagging Problems with latest update, Tags not saved properly
nutcracker
post Aug 4 2017, 20:25
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 19651
Mp3tag Version: 2.72b

Since the last update (f version) I get a lot of 'file.....cannot be opened for writing' - then I'm skipping and the problem either goes away or continues! Sometimes, in spite of the warning, the tag is written correctly but most of the times I repeat the process for the individual files until everything is done! If it's a bug, please fix it as soon as possible - if I'm doing something wrong, please advise!
PS - I switched to the previous version - problem solved!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Florian
post Aug 4 2017, 22:37
Post #2

Developer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203
Mp3tag Version: 2.85h

Thanks for reporting!

Which file types are you using when you get the error message? Also, are the file located on a NAS or a Cloud-synced drive. Are there any programs you're aware of, that are also accessing the files?

Kind regards
– Florian

--------------------
♫ If you like using Mp3tag please donate to support further development.

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 5 2017, 10:32
Post #3

QUOTE (Florian @ Aug 4 2017, 23:37) *
Thanks for reporting!

Which file types are you using when you get the error message? Also, are the file located on a NAS or a Cloud-synced drive. Are there any programs you're aware of, that are also accessing the files?

Kind regards
– Florian

I was particularly careful to leave the files outside of ANY program's reach during the tagging process! The files are located on my main HHD (disk C:)! Types of files: mp3 & flac - the problem is persistent, maybe some other users noticed it too, because I believe it's rather easy to reproduce (when you test it, you better prefer batch tagging).
Thanks!

+Quote Post
Florian
post Aug 6 2017, 17:38
Post #4

Developer

QUOTE (nutcracker @ Aug 5 2017, 11:32) *
because I believe it's rather easy to reproduce

This might be the case in your setup, but I wasn't able to reproduce it during my tests.

Do you have any program running that accesses those files, e.g., a virus scanner and indexing program or simply a music player? I'm asking not with the intention that you stop using this program, but to gather more information on how to reproduce it.

Kind regards
- Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 7 2017, 13:40
Post #5

QUOTE (Florian @ Aug 6 2017, 18:38) *
This might be the case in your setup, but I wasn't able to reproduce it during my tests.

Do you have any program running that accesses those files, e.g., a virus scanner and indexing program or simply a music player? I'm asking not with the intention that you stop using this program, but to gather more information on how to reproduce it.

Kind regards
- Florian

After your last answer, I decided to give this version one more try! So I installed it (version f) and tried to edit the track tags of an album (i.e. change of album title - change enumeration format - add album art). I copied the audio folder in three different sub-folders on my HDD to perform the test and I did not permit any other program to interfere (i.e. my audio player, my library database etc.)
I received no error warnings during album rename & track enumeration but...when adding the album art image, I got an error message on the 12th track (13 tracks total): ".....cannot be opened for writing" Do you want to continue? I clicked 'yes' and there was no album art on the 12th track! I re-selected everything (all tracks, even those that had the album art properly recorded) and...everything OK, the 12th track obtained the cover art without any problem or error message!
I repeated the exact same process for the same album in the other sub-folder and ... I had the exact same results (problem in track 12th - skipping - repeating the process and success)!
I installed version e, opened the third sub-folder with the same album and faithfully repeated the process - no problems at all whatsoever, everything completed OK!

PS This behavior is somewhat similar to what (sometimes) I get when trying to rename the audio containing folder in 'artist - album' format by using 'actions'! There are times when I get a similar message (something like: folder not found) but in this case by clicking retry everything turns out OK - and that's the reason I haven't reported it as a problem!
Attached Image

This post has been edited by nutcracker: Aug 7 2017, 13:41

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 8 2017, 06:28
Post #6

Member No.: 11458

QUOTE (nutcracker @ Aug 7 2017, 14:40) *
...when adding the album art image, I got an error message on the 12th track (13 tracks total): ".....cannot be opened for writing" Do you want to continue? ...

The description of this error looks like that of earlier reports where files were blocked by the OS.

It could even be Windows Explorer, that tries to update its thumbs.db when thumbnails should be displayed, esp. when you update the covers.
So how did you open the files? Via the Explorer shell extension? By Drag&Drop? Or from within MP3tag and no Explorer window open in the folder with the editted files?

Why it is always track 11 or something? Don't know, perhaps it is the hdd cache?

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 8 2017, 09:52
Post #7

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 8 2017, 07:28) *
The description of this error looks like that of earlier reports where files were blocked by the OS.

It could even be Windows Explorer, that tries to update its thumbs.db when thumbnails should be displayed, esp. when you update the covers.
So how did you open the files? Via the Explorer shell extension? By Drag&Drop? Or from within MP3tag and no Explorer window open in the folder with the editted files?

Why it is always track 11 or something? Don't know, perhaps it is the hdd cache?

Re-Test:
I Install version f - Conditions: No program interfering - Loading from Dopus (explorer replacement)
- Album 1 - mp3
1. add track titles from file names - OK
2. Modifying Artist name & Album title OK
3. Adding art - Problems in tracks 5 & 7
4. Repeat adding art - OK
- Album 2 - mp3
1. Enumerating tracks - Problems in 3 tracks (skipping)
2. Re-enumerating - OK
3. Adding art - Problems in 3 tracks (the same tracks)
4. Re-adding art - OK

I install version e - Conditions (EXACTLY the same): No program interfering - Loading from Dopus (explorer replacement)
No problems at all in tagging both albums!!! Everything runs smoothly and flawlessly!
[attachment=7095:album_1___error_1.jpg]

I think I'll stay with version e!
Thanks!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 8 2017, 11:59
Post #8

This is not quite what I meant.
Even though you use a WIndows Explorer substitute, this substitute still looks at the same folder (and files) as MP3tag does when editing.

Also: the errors appear when you start adding covers.
I bet that the original padding is not sufficient so that a temporary file has to be created, the older one deleted and the new one renamed.
But when the explorer gets the trigger that something happens in the open folder, it tries to update the information of the files and locks them ... while MP3tag comes along and tries to access one or more of the locked files - which leads to the observed behaviour.

What I would like you to test:
open the files from within MP3tag with the File>Open folder function (or its equivalent in the toolbar) but leave the explorer or its substitute closed.

I hope that you can now write all the files.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 8 2017, 19:51
Post #9

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 8 2017, 12:59) *
This is not quite what I meant.
Even though you use a WIndows Explorer substitute, this substitute still looks at the same folder (and files) as MP3tag does when editing.

Also: the errors appear when you start adding covers.
I bet that the original padding is not sufficient so that a temporary file has to be created, the older one deleted and the new one renamed.
But when the explorer gets the trigger that something happens in the open folder, it tries to update the information of the files and locks them ... while MP3tag comes along and tries to access one or more of the locked files - which leads to the observed behaviour.

What I would like you to test:
open the files from within MP3tag with the File>Open folder function (or its equivalent in the toolbar) but leave the explorer or its substitute closed.

I hope that you can now write all the files.

Test 2
Shutdown explorer replacement (even the resident portion from memory) - no file explorer active - isolate process from every other program - loading tracks & tagging straight with mp3tag

Install f version:
- Album 1
1. Enumerating - OK
2. Art - Error in one track
3. Repeating the process - OK
- Album 2
1. Enumerating - OK
2. Art - OK
- Album 3
1. Inserting track titles - OK
2. Art - OK
- Album 4
1. Inserting track titles - 5 errors
2. Repeating the process - OK
3. Inserting Artist & Album - OK
4. Art - 5 errors
5. Repeating the process - OK

Install e version:
Repeat the process - No problems at all!
With e version installed:
Repeat the process (this time with explorer replacement active) - loading tracks & tagging straight with mp3tag - No problems at all!
With e version installed:
Repeat the process by loading the files from the explorer replacement - No problems at all!

There is definitely something different between the two versions!

Thanks! (I'm keeping version e)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 9 2017, 06:33
Post #10

QUOTE (nutcracker @ Aug 8 2017, 20:51) *
There is definitely something different between the two versions!

I am not sure: have you read the release information for version f:
FIX: attempting to write tags to larger files that are locked by other processes left only temporary file in some cases

The fix is a longer timeout while writing.
And to be quite honest: I am using version f and had not a single locked / blocked file.
The fix was intended to make things better.
But apparently on your system, it does not work and/or the workflow still has the odd program (even in the background like an indexer) looking at the files - not very quickly so it works with the version without the longer timeout but it still looks.
This is my attempt to explain it. I could be wrong, naturally.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Aug 9 2017, 06:34

--------------------

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 9 2017, 08:52
Post #11

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 9 2017, 07:33) *
I am not sure: have you read the release information for version f:
FIX: attempting to write tags to larger files that are locked by other processes left only temporary file in some cases

The fix is a longer timeout while writing.
And to be quite honest: I am using version f and had not a single locked / blocked file.
The fix was intended to make things better.
But apparently on your system, it does not work and/or the workflow still has the odd program (even in the background like an indexer) looking at the files - not very quickly so it works with the version without the longer timeout but it still looks.
This is my attempt to explain it. I could be wrong, naturally.

I believe that where productivity is of importance, the use of (an) explorer is necessary - it's time-consuming to use mp3tag to open folders! It's also difficult to explain why with THE EXACT SIMILAR conditions one version works flawlessly and the other falls short! I had no problems with any version of mp3tag until now, and the program has become a vital piece of my audio editing software - so, hopefully there will be a new and better version or else I'm sticking to version e!

Thanks anyway!

+Quote Post
Florian
post Aug 9 2017, 08:52
Post #12

Developer

How big are those files that are giving the error message? Can you please try again and use Handle.exe to check which process is locking those files?

Kind regards
– Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post
nutcracker
post Aug 9 2017, 20:45
Post #13

QUOTE (Florian @ Aug 9 2017, 09:52) *
How big are those files that are giving the error message? Can you please try again and use Handle.exe to check which process is locking those files?

Kind regards
– Florian

Please, review the changes you brought to the program after vesion e! Unfortunately, version g behaves the same way as version f! I have re-installed the stable version 2.83 and I found no problems at all! I even installed version d and ... the same: no problems under ANY circumstances! Every version works for me without any problems until version f! You've must been done something with the code, there is no other explanation
Thanks!

+Quote Post
Florian
post Aug 10 2017, 08:52
Post #14

Developer

Yes. Of course, I've done something with the code smile.gif

It would be great if you could answer my questions from yesterday.

Kind regards
– Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighted
post Aug 10 2017, 23:29
Post #15

Member No.: 1959

Same error here since "f" and now also with "g". This happens with any mp3. On windows 7 for sure and I think windows 10.

I have reverted to "e" and everything works as expected.

No time to get into this too deep, I'm just confirming what the OP has reported. I only get online a couple time a week so hopefully next time I'll be able to add something more useful to the topic.

--------------------
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 13:05