IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whole Album/Directory Lyrics Tool, Created a Lyrics Tool... help me improve it :)
Mike_nl
post Nov 7 2010, 12:33
Post #16

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 6480
Mp3tag Version: 2.61a

Why do you need to read the Tags ? That is the thing what Mp3tag does brilliantly!

Just change the parameters instead of %_folderpath% to %artist% %title%.

Or am I missing something here ?

Edit 18:39 Spelling Mistake

This post has been edited by Mike_nl: Nov 7 2010, 12:39

--------------------
Life is too short, enjoy it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 7 2010, 14:21
Post #17

Member No.: 3194
Mp3tag Version: 2.63

I changed the test case a bit.
Now using a ID3v2.3 UTF-16 encoded mp3 file, which properties can be seen in the explorer properties sheet.

I let run Lyrics.exe with parameter and option /debug from the command line.
There is no debug window popping up.
But I am not totally sure, because there is a short screen flicker, which could indicate, that there might be a window opened but closed immediately.
Result state see screenshot attached.
Attached Image

QUOTE (ResidualImages @ Nov 7 2010, 09:34) *
The window always pops up a summary of what happened after running on all files selected or in the directory selected, so that you know song by song if lyrics were found. That is NOT an error. The screenshot you attached is normal. ...

Beside the fact, that it is reporting a failure state.

... In your screenshot, you showed me the end result. what popped up before then? the window I said should pop up for the debug should have shown a vertical array of attributes for the file.
like the 'File Properties' window in the image in the earlier post ...

... I don't pull from the ID3 tag to find the artist and title. I've always been able to use extended file attributes under Windows APIs to find that information on all my systems, and it's worked on other peoples' systems too. ...

Sorry to say, it works not here.

Please tell me
1) if you ever see the 'File Properties' array Window when using on the command line with the
/debug switch
2) Just for grins, try lyrics.exe O:\test\t1\ and tell me what happens.
3) Either that, or you could always try to use this tool in MP3tag.exe with the 'Tool' settings mentioned in the original post. ...

Hmm, I do not want to blow up the test case. I like to keep the test case small and clear.
If it works on the commandline with one file, then it will work with all files, even when invoking the tool from within other applications.

Additional question:
Is the Lyrics.exe tool able to work on systems without Internet Explorer installed?

DD.20101107.1437.CET

This post has been edited by DetlevD: Nov 7 2010, 14:37

--------------------
* Beyond that, don't ask, when you don't know what to do with the answer. *
♥ home is where the heart is ♥

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 7 2010, 14:27
Post #18

QUOTE (Mike_nl @ Nov 7 2010, 12:33) *
Why do you need to read the Tags ? That is the thing what Mp3tag does brilliantly!
Just change the parameters instead of %_folderpath% to %artist% %title%. ...

Good point!!!!!

DD.20101107.1427.CET

This post has been edited by DetlevD: Nov 7 2010, 14:33

--------------------

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 7 2010, 16:56
Post #19

Member No.: 7166
Mp3tag Version: 2.46a

Windows doesn't support ID3v2.4 that's why your tool doesn't get artist/title info.

Explain to me why it works on every system I've tried stateside. I've been using MP3s with mainly ID3v2.3 UDF-16. Windows explorer will show the details of each song under detailed view settings.
What's the benefit of ID3v2.4? And I'm going to try that just now, be right back.

Just change the parameters instead of %_folderpath% to %artist% %title%.

Or am I missing something here

The whole point of my tool is that it doesn't need MP3Tag to do its work, but it makes for easy import while using MP3Tag. The limitations of MP3Tag needing to 'Run on every file' or just passing one more general parameter makes it annoying. My first version two years ago opened up a process for each and every song selected; if you selected 50 songs, it spawned 50 processes [run for each file was checked in MP3Tag's Tools]. If you can show me how to configure a tool in MP3tag that will pass in every 'artist|title' of each selected song as a single chunk parameter to a single executable, we can leverage MP3tag to do the work that it does do very well indeed! something like for each song in selection{ %artist%|%title%|}next that doesn't open 50 processes all at once. I'd even settle for it opening 1 process 50 times, though I tried to design this tool to open once, and handle single files or directories or multiple files all seamlessly. Again, the pain of it not working on your side of the ocean... it's incredibly odd and frustrating.

The pain of having to do songs 1 by 1 is the slow, annoying part. this is supposed to bypass that and let you do whole directories, and the directories within that directory. Like I said yesterday, I opened this tool, no MP3Tag.exe running, told it the root of my network music mapped drive, and let it run for 8.5 hours all by itself. So a total of 3 clicks made it find lyrics, if they existed on the site I'm using, to 10,724 songs and store them as individual text files in the same folder as the MP3 file they represented. Then I started MP3Tag.exe, and in my 'Standard' action, I say to try to import UNSYNCEDLYRICS from %_filename%.txt.

Additional question:
Is the Lyrics.exe tool able to work on systems without Internet Explorer installed?

Lyrics.exe opens an invisible Internet Explorer page to retrieve the data. Just like lyricsplugin.com's windows media player plugin, this tool relies on Internet Explorer and windows media player to be installed. Perhaps that's what's causing the hangup. Do you people having the problems use the EU version of XP (sorry, American here, we have no windows shipping without internet explorer and wmp)?

I let run Lyrics.exe with parameter and option /debug from the command line.
But I am not totally sure, because there is a short screen flicker, which could indicate, that there might be a window opened but closed immediately.
Result state see screenshot attached.

The screenshot you showed shows the issue. Your Windows XP is not retrieving the extra info, like so:

The only way to get this tool to work for people who's Windows doesn't tell them the information about their music files natively is if someone can tell me how to pass a list of every selected file's 'title|artist' on as one argument in the 'Tools' section.
To get this straight, one last time... If you guys set your type of folder view to 'Music' under the customize tab of folder properties in Windows Explorer, you can't then view in Details mode for that folder and see these columns:

???

That boggles my mind. I'm going to have to break out my MSDN's European versions of XP if that is seriously the case.

This post has been edited by ResidualImages: Nov 7 2010, 17:05

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 7 2010, 17:15
Post #20

QUOTE (ResidualImages @ Nov 7 2010, 16:56) *
... if someone can tell me how to pass a list of every selected file's 'title|artist' on as one argument in the 'Tools' section. ...

Try to implement something like Winamp's option /ADD.
Try to implement some queue manegement.
Try to make your app sensible for a second starting/running process of itself, fetch the parameter from the app's commandline, put it into a queue list and kill the second process.

DD.20101107.1715.CET

--------------------

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 7 2010, 17:18
Post #21

So I just changed to ID3v2.4 lyrics under my XP, SP3 box.
My Windows XP STILL natively pulls all the information, lets you sort detailed view on track, title, artist, album, length, whatever.

If the only differences are that you guys have a version of Windows that comes without Internet Explorer or WMP or some other setting, and for some reason you can't have a detailed view of Music-settings folders sortable by all those columns I natively have, then I at least understand why my tool isn't working for you. I do NOT understand why you can't have the detailed view with the same columns, but that would be why the tool fails. So you cannot make Windows do natively what I've attached below?

Also, I see some of you using MP3Tag 2.46d. I'm using 2.46a. Is there a difference in how it writes the ID3v2.4 tags?

I may make a test exe later today that attempts to read the title and artist a different way, without caring about lyrics or anything, and tell you what it found. But I'm assuming most of you are tired of dealing with this tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dano
post Nov 7 2010, 17:23
Post #22

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 201
Mp3tag Version: 2.65a

You also have ID3v1 tags, it will read these.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 7 2010, 17:24
Post #23

QUOTE (DetlevD @ Nov 7 2010, 11:15) *
Try to implement something like Winamp's option /ADD.
Try to implement some queue manegement.
Try to make your app sensible for a second starting/running process of itself, fetch the parameter from the app's commandline, put it into a queue list and kill the second process.

DD.20101107.1715.CET

I cannot see the benefit of starting 10,724 processes at once, even if 10,723 of them just add their parameters to the queue and then kill themselves. 1 Process can and does handle this. All I'm trying to hash out is to make a way for my Euro friends there to retrieve the title and artist of each song in a directory or each song passed in. The version from 2 years ago DID do more like what you were saying, eventually, calling upon ProcessesRunning and querying whether it was the first or a second instance, and then pooling all the information. It was SLOOOOOOW for more than 20, 40, 60 files maximum.

Do you know of a way MP3tag.exe can be told to 'Run on each file selected' but do them one at at time?

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 7 2010, 17:25
Post #24

QUOTE (dano @ Nov 7 2010, 11:23) *
You also have ID3v1 tags, it will read these.

so you guys don't embed all lower versions? Now I understand!
Thanks Dano!!!!!!! my head can stop hitting the brick wall.

if I may ask... what's the benefit to not having ID3v1 tags up through ID3v2?

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 7 2010, 17:58
Post #25

QUOTE (ResidualImages @ Nov 7 2010, 17:24) *
I cannot see the benefit of starting 10,724 processes at once, even if 10,723 of them just add their parameters to the queue and then kill themselves. 1 Process can and does handle this. All I'm trying to hash out is to make a way for my Euro friends there to retrieve the title and artist of each song in a directory or each song passed in. The version from 2 years ago DID do more like what you were saying, eventually, calling upon ProcessesRunning and querying whether it was the first or a second instance, and then pooling all the information. It was SLOOOOOOW for more than 20, 40, 60 files maximum.

Do you know of a way MP3tag.exe can be told to 'Run on each file selected' but do them one at at time?

Hmm, I can collect all data given as parameters in the commandline of a cmd batch file into one text file - for all selected files - from within Mp3tag.

Usage description from my "collect.cmd" file:
REM Usage:
REM Collect all parameters from the commandline of this batch command file into an external text list file.
REM Afterwards the external text list file can be used as input file for an external application, which can be called from within this batch command file.
REM
REM When using option /C each call of this batch command file creates a new line in the external text list file.
REM When using option /R an external application will be called using the externsl text list file.
REM When using option /L the content of externsl text list file will be displayed to console out.
REM When using option /D the external text list file will be deleted.
REM ©20100926.Detlev Dalitz.

Well, I've tested this with a list of 100 files but not with a list of 10000 files.
Mp3tag pumps out the data as far as possible (depends on the batch file).
It was just a study how to overcome Mp3tag's limited "run external app" feature.

If Florian could implement better support for running external applications, life would be much easier.
For example:
Run( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program as a normal window.

RunHide( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program as a hidden window.

RunHideWait( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program in a hidden window and waits for it to close.

RunIcon( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program as an icon.

RunIconWait( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program as an icon and waits for it to close.

RunShell( program-name, params, directory, displaymode, waitflag )
An advanced form of the Run function that even allows the specification of a working directory, along with the window view mode and whether or not to wait for completion of the run program in a single function.

RunWait( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program as a normal window and waits for it to close.

RunZoom( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program in a maximized window.

RunZoomWait( program-name, parameters )
Runs a program in a maximized window and waits for it to close.

ShellExecute ( program-name, params, directory, display mode, operation )
Runs a program via the Windows ShellExecute command.

Most important is to have a "wait" option.

DD.20101107.1758.CET

--------------------

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 7 2010, 20:31
Post #26

Very large changes to create a good solution for us all.
Version .10 includes new instructions.

Basically, you need an 'Export for Lyrics' action that exports currently selected songs from MP3Tag. The export's MTE file should read:
$filename(txt,utf-8)$loop(%_path%)%_path%|%artist%|%title%
$loopend()

Secondly, the Export File Name parameter of the Export for Lyrics action is now used as the Parameter for the Lyrics Tool under MP3Tag

The zip includes a PDF explaining how to set it up from scratch, but you testers probably can figure it out from the info above.

I appreciate all your patience and hard work and time. This has been an incredible bit of stubbornness on all our parts to get it working.

That being said, I think I shall cry if you can't get it to work this time. tongue.gif
(for about 3 minutes, the wrong zip file was uploaded. if you downloaded the link earlier than this post I'm creating right now, re-download)

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 8 2010, 12:21
Post #27

QUOTE (ResidualImages @ Nov 7 2010, 20:31) *
... I appreciate all your patience and hard work and time. ... That being said, I think I shall cry if you can't get it to work this time. tongue.gif

Stay calm, do not worry, no need to cry.

Offered download version 1.0.0.11 seems to be internally version 1.0.0.10.
Please make the version number obvious on the user interface.

This 3-step version works for me!

Additionally I would like to have the choice to put the incoming text files into a subfolder within the current folder (or freely into some folder anywhere in the system), to be controlled by cmdline parameter or ini file.

DD.20101108.1221.CET

--------------------

+Quote Post
ResidualImages
post Nov 8 2010, 13:59
Post #28

QUOTE (DetlevD @ Nov 8 2010, 06:21) *
Stay calm, do not worry, no need to cry.

I'm going to quit sniffling now. wink.gif

Offered download version 1.0.0.11 seems to be internally version 1.0.0.10.
Please make the version number obvious on the user interface.

I'll work on version display after work today. When I download the zip, and look at the properties, the version does say 1.0.0.11.
Interesting babbling that isn't very important:
1.0.0.10 is the same as .11, except for a progress bar being shown while reading the Exported file. I tried .10 on 500+ files to see the speed, and I noticed that reading 500+ lines from the export file took a handful of seconds in which nothing was displayed, which made me wonder for a couple seconds whether or not it had locked up. then the progress bar about obtaining the lyrics popped up magically, and I figured out it hadn't locked up, it had just taken a few seconds to read that exported text file. consequently, the .11 shows a progress of reading the export file.

This 3-step version works for me!

That's what I'm talking about! Now that it worked for you, we've got some more interesting things to talk about, like changes. smile.gif

Additionally I would like to have the choice to put the incoming text files into a subfolder within the current folder (or freely into some folder anywhere in the system), to be controlled by cmdline parameter or ini file.

Picky picky picky haha. I'll roll it around in my head and come up with some ideas to try this evening.

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Nov 8 2010, 15:45
Post #29

QUOTE (ResidualImages @ Nov 8 2010, 13:59) *
... I tried .10 on 500+ files to see the speed, ...

Watch out to torture the server not to much.
Code some random time delay here and there into your script.

DD.20101108.1545.CET

--------------------

+Quote Post
lexs
post Feb 4 2011, 09:58
Post #30

Group: Members
Member No.: 13741
Mp3tag Version: 2.48

Hi,

I tried to install and run this beautiful tool as explained. Everything works as expected, except for one crucial point:

For every song that lyrics are found for, the lyrics are the same:

Upgrade to Lyrics Plugin version 0.4

I tried inspecting the intermediate results. It turns out the second step (running lyrics.exe) actually creates a txt file for every song. But instead of the song's lyrics, the file contains this text above.

Since this works apearantly for you all, I wonder: WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 08:39