Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.48b deletes FLAC files when performing batch operations...
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Bug Reports
fenrisswolf
I've been using mp3tag for quite a while, without issues, and use it almost exclusively to manage music file tags on my computer. Unfortunately, this last revision seems to be causing me a few problems with FLAC files.

When selecting several of them at once, such as those of an entire album, I was attempting to add covers and make sure Album titles are spelled the same way on all files of the same album. I made the desired changes and pressed the save button, and after 5 or 6 flies got processed without issue, a message popped up saying the tags could not be written to the file with an option to Cancel or Ignore, if I recall correctly. (While unusual, this is not in and of itself too worry to me, since it can normally be caused by having the file open and playing, or having the antivirus scanning to my media, for example.) However, the FLAC file in question will not be restored to it's original state regardless of the choice picked. MP3TAG display will update to indicate all flags were deleted from the affected file, so it will seem as an inconvenience, requiring just a complete tag re-write for the file(s) in question, but the truth is the file will be deleted instead.
If I stop the process right there by selecting cancel, I can recover the FLAC as a .tmp file in the directory affected, but if I press Ignore, the .tmp will also be gone, and the original FLAC will be lost. If it occurs again in the same directory, a .tmp of the last affected file will remain, but not one of the first file.
I had it happen 4 times on three different directories, (fortunately I only lost one file, and I intend to scourge the net later to replace it,) but I'm a little weary of attempting to replicate this bug again to get more info. I might just re-install the previous version later, as I did not have any issues previously...

Also, This bug does not seem to affect mp3 files, as I also updated a few mp3 albums without incident in the same session.

Thank you for producing (and maintaining) an incredibly useful application that's made managing music collections so much easier for tons of people! hopefully this is not a widespread bug, and just a problem for a handful of people. (Because I don't want it to be a widespread bug for everyone, or a peculiarity of my own particular hardware/software installation giving me problems...)
garym
I can't replicate your issue on my end. Just installed 248b yesterday. Pulled in some FLAC files, edited and saved tags, ran some actions, etc. All worked fine. Must be something interacting on your system/files.
jimbean
Well, it happened to me when I tried to embed album art into my flac files. It would randomly delete a song with no warning, just said something like songtitle.flac cannot be found. I had to rerip a few songs off my cd collection. Looks like I'll be using something else to edit tag files.
chrisjj
Thanks for the report and confirmations. Does anyone know the latest version of Mp3tag that does not suffer this issue?
Florian
I never could reproduce the issue described in this topic and did not made any changes in the FLAC writing part of Mp3tag. So I guess what has happened still can happen (without confirmation on the root cause of the mysterious file deletion).

On a side-note: I'd always recommend to use the latest stable version of Mp3tag. Just have a look at all the entries starting with "FIX". smile.gif
chrisjj
QUOTE (Florian @ Apr 2 2013, 06:49) *
I never could reproduce the issue described in this topic and did not made any changes in the FLAC writing part of Mp3tag.

Thanks for that info.

So I guess what has happened still can happen (without confirmation on the root cause of the mysterious file deletion).

Perhaps Mp3tag's error report should provide a little more detail.

On a side-note: I'd always recommend to use the latest stable version of Mp3tag. Just have a look at all the entries starting with "FIX". smile.gif

Thanks, but users, also remember to have a look at all the entries that broke script, config and search compatibility.

Chris (stuck on V2.44 until he finds time to code the many workarounds required.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.