Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crashing on Folder Selection
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Bug Reports
odyeiop
I've been using MP3-Tag for a while now, and using it in a very basic manner. I've only been using it as a quick way to tag everything, and it works awesome.

One problem I've noticed, is that some album folders have been causing it to crash. It's always the same folders, so I have just skipped them for a while hoping that an update would come along and fix it, but I'd like to know if this happens to anybody else, and/or any possible resolutions.

None of the tags come up, the instant the folder is selected the program freezes, and if I switch windows and back it's a pure white screen. If any other information is needed I'll be more than happy to answer, although I don't know what else I can really say about it.

Thanks!
ohrenkino
ZITAT(odyeiop @ Feb 11 2012, 20:45) *
I've been using MP3-Tag for a while now, and using it in a very basic manner. I've only been using it as a quick way to tag everything, and it works awesome.

One problem I've noticed, is that some album folders have been causing it to crash. It's always the same folders, so I have just skipped them for a while hoping that an update would come along and fix it, but I'd like to know if this happens to anybody else, and/or any possible resolutions.

None of the tags come up, the instant the folder is selected the program freezes, and if I switch windows and back it's a pure white screen. If any other information is needed I'll be more than happy to answer, although I don't know what else I can really say about it.

Thanks!

See
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=15183
odyeiop
QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Feb 11 2012, 05:34) *
Perform a chkdsk.

I run fairly regular checks on my hardware and software. I have yet to run into a problem with any of my drives thus far.

How full is the disc (if you are beyond the magical 15% free disk space, WIndows may run into problems with the security bits)?

About 25% free on it right now.

Is your hard disk dying (e.g. Chrystaldiskinfo may report trouble)

Not dying. Quite good.

Do you access folders via the network on a NAS?

C:, G:, M: are local only. F: is a network drive. However all the folders are on the G:.
ohrenkino
ZITAT(odyeiop @ Feb 11 2012, 20:45) *
.... It's always the same folders, so I have just skipped them for a while hoping that an update would come along and fix it, ...

What is different about these folders so that you can identify them as causing trouble?
pone
I guess you are loading the whole folder into Mp3tag?

Try loading the single files into Mp3tag, one after the other. Maybe you can single out a file which causes the trouble. Or, if all files can be loaded, maybe in the folders are some hidden files which cause trouble.
Also try moving the files into a different folder, and load that folder into Mp3tag.
DetlevD
QUOTE (odyeiop @ Feb 11 2012, 20:45) *
I've been using MP3-Tag for a while now, and using it in a very basic manner. I've only been using it as a quick way to tag everything, and it works awesome. One problem I've noticed, is that some album folders have been causing it to crash. It's always the same folders, so I have just skipped them for a while hoping that an update would come along and fix t, but I'd like to know if this happens to anybody else, and/or any possible resolutions. None of the tags come up, the instant the folder is selected the program freezes, and if I switch windows and back it's a pure white screen. If any other information is needed I'll be more than happy to answer, although I don't know what else I can really say about it.Thanks!

Never I saw such a behaviour of Mp3tag, as you have described.
To find out the one and only cause or maybe multiple causes is like fishing in troubled waters.
You got already some tips in this thread to find out what's going on with these miraculous folders.
I will put two more tips into the pool.

Check out the entire length of the longest filepath name of all the files in the bad folder, starting from drive letter down the folder tree to the longest filename including extension.
The longest filepath name string should not be longer than 255 characters.

Check out whether the filepath names contain any special character which is not a member of the allowed characters to be used in the file system. It is very unusual, but check anyway.
Read there something about the Windows file system ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Good luck on your odyssey!

DD.20120212.1036.CET
odyeiop
QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Feb 12 2012, 04:01) *
What is different about these folders so that you can identify them as causing trouble?

Other than the naming there is absolutely no difference in the Folders.

QUOTE (pone @ Feb 12 2012, 04:05) *
I guess you are loading the whole folder into Mp3tag?

Try loading the single files into Mp3tag, one after the other. Maybe you can single out a file which causes the trouble. Or, if all files can be loaded, maybe in the folders are some hidden files which cause trouble.
Also try moving the files into a different folder, and load that folder into Mp3tag.

Same result. Regardless of which folder I move them into, and/or which file I seperately (and manually) load it still freezes. Even tried dragging them into a newly created folder in the program and it crashes once I drop it in (if I'm currently viewing the contents of that folder).

QUOTE (DetlevD @ Feb 12 2012, 04:33) *
Check out the entire length of the longest filepath name of all the files in the bad folder, starting from drive letter down the folder tree to the longest filename including extension.
The longest filepath name string should not be longer than 255 characters.

Nothing even close to 255. The folder is fairly close to the Root, not much nesting at all.
G:\G\ (artist name) \ (album title) \ (file name)
G:\temp\ (artist name) \ (album title) \ (file name)

For now I've just been putting them into an "untaggable" folder. Perhaps I'll just try getting a different copy of these. Is there a console/debugger/error report generator that I could use and look over? Something to give me an idea of what the actual cause of the crash is.
DetlevD
QUOTE (odyeiop @ Feb 12 2012, 21:00) *
... Nothing even close to 255. The folder is fairly close to the Root, not much nesting at all.
G:\G\ (artist name) \ (album title) \ (file name)
G:\temp\ (artist name) \ (album title) \ (file name) ...

The depth of nested folders is not decisive.
One can reach the 255 char size NTFS limit alone with one filename.
What filesystem is installed under the disk letter G: (FAT32, NTFS, or ...)?
How is the disk G: accessed (local, via network, usb, special driver hardware)?

You wrote about the fact, that you are able to copy and move the miraculous files from the problem folder to another new folder and the miracle migrates with.

Check out whether foobar2000 and it's file repair utilities can help.

Hmm, and check whether the folder and file access rights are set right and who is the owner of the files?

DD.20120213.1303.CET
odyeiop
QUOTE (DetlevD @ Feb 12 2012, 19:31) *
The depth of nested folders is not decisive.
One can reach the 255 char size NTFS limit alone with one filename.
What filesystem is installed under the disk letter G: (FAT32, NTFS, or ...)?
How is the disk G: accessed (local, via network, usb, special driver hardware)?

You wrote about the fact, that you are able to copy and move the miraculous files from the problem folder to another new folder and the miracle migrates with.

Check out whether foobar2000 and it's file repair utilities can help.

Hmm, and check whether the folder and file access rights are set right and who is the owner of the files?

DD.20120213.1303.CET

The drive is formatted to NTFS, and is accessed locally under an administrative login. The filenames are not long, not even close to the 255 limit, even with the folder names.

I'll check out foobar2000. See if it can solve the enigmatic file problem.

Thanks for all the help thus far smile.gif

[edit] The repair utilities did not help. I'll just have to continue separating the crashing folders for now, and replace them at some point later. Thankfully it is just a very small percentage of my library that does this.
ryerman
QUOTE (odyeiop @ Feb 14 2012, 14:36) *
...Thanks for all the help thus far smile.gif

Maybe someone can reproduce the crashes if you provide a problem file.
Sometimes that helps to resolve file-related issues.
odyeiop
Here's a link to one of the files. I tried redownloading it and opening it in Mp3-Tag to be sure, and same results.
ryerman
QUOTE (odyeiop @ Feb 14 2012, 15:55) *
Here's a link to one of the files. I tried redownloading it and opening it in Mp3-Tag to be sure, and same results.

That file opens without a problem with my system. Sorry, but that doesn't help much. sad.gif

The only odd thing I've found is an ID3v2.4 tag field called MusicCDIdentifier (with a binary value) which is not shown by Mp3tag in the Extended Tags view.

I see it by using "Exiftool" which is a command line application that can read many different tags from a variety of file types.

I'm no expert, but it seems unlikely such a tag field would cause any problems, especially since the file opens without crashing Mp3tag on my machine.

But just in case, here's a link to your file with all tags removed.
odyeiop
QUOTE (ryerman @ Feb 14 2012, 22:42) *
That file opens without a problem with my system. Sorry, but that doesn't help much. sad.gif

The only odd thing I've found is an ID3v2.4 tag field called MusicCDIdentifier (with a binary value) which is not shown by Mp3tag in the Extended Tags view.

I see it by using "Exiftool" which is a command line application that can read many different tags from a variety of file types.

I'm no expert, but it seems unlikely such a tag field would cause any problems, especially since the file opens without crashing Mp3tag on my machine.

But just in case, here's a link to your file with all tags removed.

Yuppers. I could open the folder with that one fine. Time to dissect these files it seems. Thanks =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.