Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filename Reversal
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Support
Fred99x
I have numerous filenames in the format: artist name - song title. This is a filename only and these do not show up in any other fields such as artist. I would like to change the filename to indicate song title - artist name. The artist name and song title could have multiple words so using %1 %2 etc will not work. Is there another way to do this for a large group of filenames?

Thanks
DetlevD
QUOTE (Fred99x @ May 25 2012, 23:00) *
I have numerous filenames in the format: artist name - song title. This is a filename only and these do not show up in any other fields such as artist. I would like to change the filename to indicate song title - artist name. The artist name and song title could have multiple words so using %1 %2 etc will not work. Is there another way to do this for a large group of filenames?Thanks

Although the problem has been asked in numerous variations and the forum area of "Frequently Asked Questions" may provide the answer instantly, I am willing to help you by an example case.

Given is the filename 'The Beatles +++ White Album.mp3'.
There are two parts obviously connected by the string ' +++ '.
The target filename should be 'White Album - The Beatles.mp3'
To interchange the two parts the converter "Filename - Filename" can be helpful.

Convert | Filename - Filename | ALT+3

Select format string

Old filename pattern:
%1 +++ %2

New filename pattern:
%2 - %1

Preview
The Beatles +++ White Album.mp3"
To:
White Album - The Beatles.mp3

You can adapt this example to your needs.

DD.20120526.0835.CEST
Fred99x

Thanks very much. I did read through the FAQ's but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. My mistake was thinking that in all the examples, %1 would relate to an individual word. I didn't realize that %1 could also relate to a group of words which is what I was looking for. I finally gave up looking and had to post a question. Thank you for your assistance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.