Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible Alternative
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Development > Web Sources Discussion
Grumb13
Hey Florian,

Awesome Awesome tagger ya got here...

Only thing I don't like is the freedb support - I'm not a big fan of the freedb because of the multiple instances of every album etc. - can get somewhat messy.

I am a stickler for tagging my music the correct way and producing filenames that match and your program does this beautifully.

I liked Tag&Rename for only one reason and that wasfor the AMG support it had, when that went out the door because of the TOS I started looking and came across your nice little proggy.

Clean - No BS - That's what I like.

I was wandering around looking at the AMG site to match and make sure a set of freedb tags was correct - which is terribly painful because the AMG site sux, when it occured to me....

Have you thought about using http://ubl.artistdirect.com as a source for the tagging? TOS seems to be OK, might need to read it closer, but might be worth making a parser so that it can grab info from it.

Could be better than the freedb - dunno how many entries it actually has, but it seems to be a fairly complete listing.

Give me some feedback on what you might think about this and whether it might be possible to try it.

I am glad that you haven't gone the route of Amazon or some such... but this could be a valid alternative if at all possible.

I do know that The Godfather has actually used a script to go ahead and use the AMG site but thier program is such a clusterbeep that I am not even interested.

I have actually passed your program on to some other peeps and we all agree it is awesome.

With the addition of a better tagging source and... well my one wee thing is...
I sure would like to have the album art in my file... I know I know I have read the forums, but I like that because I like having it load when I am listening to my music.

Other than that - perfect - easy to use - no extra dumb crap and a clean interface.
MP3Tag doesnt do everything some of the other programs, but it does the things it does beautifully... the things I want it to do.

Keep up the excellent work smile.gif

Thanks,
G13
Florian
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm already working on a web sources framework for Mp3tag which would make all kinds of websites with album information available to Mp3tag via simple parser scripts for the websites contents.

Best regards,
~ Florian santa.gif
Florian
Hi Grumb13!

The current Development Build is theoretically able to gather album information from the website you've suggested as possible alternative.

The only thing which remains, is that someone have to create a web source description file based on the example I did for discogs.com.

Best regards,
~ Florian
Shadow Skill
QUOTE (Florian @ Dec 24 2004, 03:34 AM)
Thanks for your feedback!

I'm already working on a web sources framework for Mp3tag which would make all kinds of websites with album information available to Mp3tag via simple parser scripts for the websites contents.

Best regards,
~ Florian santa.gif

Why can't mp3tag simply be made to let the user use whichever tagging service or website they want?
Florian
QUOTE (Shadow Skill @ Jan 16 2005, 11:11 PM)
Why can't mp3tag simply be made to let the user use whichever tagging service or website they want?

Check out the latest Development Build and create web source description files for whatever website you want (take discogs.src as example) smile.gif

Best regards,
~ Florian
dano
Is there a tutorial/documentation?
Florian
QUOTE (dano @ Jan 17 2005, 05:09 PM)
Is there a tutorial/documentation?

The only documentation is discogs.src at the moment smile.gif

If you're interested, I can compile a help topic containing all functions from the scripting language used and the meaning of the fields used in the description file.

Best regards,
~ Florian
dano
Yes, that'd be nice.
Florian
QUOTE (dano @ Jan 17 2005, 05:32 PM)
Yes, that'd be nice.

Done. smile.gif

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions!

Best regards,
~ Florian
beaker
Grumb13, are you going to try to attempt this for ubl.artistdirect?
Grumb13
QUOTE (beaker @ Jan 18 2005, 09:17 PM)
Grumb13, are you going to try to attempt this for ubl.artistdirect?

I might try - I'm not a coder or anything but I will have a look.
blink.gif
If I can figure it out, rest assured I'll post something here.

-G
shufty
ok, this is what i came up with in 2 hours, didnt recognise the code, so this is the best i could do. Had another little fiddle, was kinda tired when i did it, this should work now.
CODE
cut out

OK, so it didn't work. i've tried to use the debug command but it just isn't working. The framework help is a great help though, gave me a better understanding about what is being sent and how. Any ideas on why the deboug output isnt working?
Florian
Hi shufty,

the problem with your script was, that it was based on the artist search and the web source didn't gave you an album page, but a page with multiple artists. I've reworked your web source definition file and posted it at the announcement thread.

It would be nice, if you can test it smile.gif Thanks for your interest!

Best regards,
~ Florian
shufty
Thanks for looking at it, Florian. Had a little look and it still doesn't seem to be working: I get an error "Sorry, no entires matching your search criteria" Also had another error, could not connect to discogs when i searched for an album. Not sure why it would be trying to do that and looking at the source for the page, im stumped lol.
Grumb13
Florian,

How do you get the allmusic.src file to show up to use it?

I put it in with the discogs.src file but I'm not getting it showing up or anything.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,
G13
dano
On Windows, click START->RUN. Enter %appdata%
Then browse to Mp3tag\data\sources
Florian
QUOTE (shufty @ Jan 30 2005, 11:03 PM)
Had a little look and it still doesn't seem to be working: I get an error "Sorry, no entires matching your search criteria"

Maybe you get this error, because "no entires matching your search criteria" smile.gif Try to search for it manually on their website to be sure.

Cheers,
~ Florian
Grumb13
QUOTE (dano @ Jan 31 2005, 01:09 PM)
On Windows, click START->RUN. Enter %appdata%
Then browse to Mp3tag\data\sources

Dano,

I did what you said but the artistdirect.src file doesn't show up... what am I doing wrong?

If I do this correctly will it place a artistdirect dropdown in my web lookup button in the program GUI?

Sorry about this, I must seem dumb as a rock... huh.gif

Thanks for your help,
G13
dano
Where's your discogs.src file located?
If you have WinXP, the file should exist 2 times.
try CTR+F in windows explorer to search for both discogs.src files. One of its locations is the one that is used by mp3tag.
Grumb13
QUOTE (Florian @ Jan 31 2005, 01:12 PM)
Maybe you get this error, because "no entires matching your search criteria" smile.gif Try to search for it manually on their website to be sure.

Cheers,
~ Florian

Hey Florian,

I have been playing with the new artistdirect.src file and shufty is correct it is not giving back search hits.
I was wondering after looking at the file itself if it could be because the default web search string is "artist" and you have it searching album?
I dunno, but I do know that the albums I am searching are on the website because I did a manual search on 10 or so and they were all there, but none of them came up as hits with the src file.
I think it would work better if its default search string was artist anyway... what do you think? unsure.gif

Thanks,
G13
Florian
The intention with the artistdirect.src I've reworked was to help shufty building this web source definition - but it seems that I have to do it by myself again dry.gif

I also wrote an explanation why searching by artist is not possible with this web source. The web source framework uses a two stage method to get the albums' information - first search gives you a list of albums, second search gives the selected albums' information. If you get a list of artists first, you won't be able to do the rest in one step (getting artists' albums and the album information).

Can you please tell me, which search string returns no results for you? I've only tested this source with a few albums, so it's very likely that there are still some problems left.

Thanks!
~ Florian
Grumb13
Florian,

I'm sorry Florian... wasn't trying to cause you more work. sad.gif
I'll list a few that I was talking about for you like you requested though.

Warzone - [1994] - Old School To The New School
Where Fear & Weapons Meet - [1998] - Where Fear & Weapons Meet
Where Fear & Weapons Meet - [2001] - Unstoppable
Where Fear & Weapons Meet - [2003] - Control
Whitesnake - [1984] - Slide It In
Will Haven - [1999] - WHVN
Will Haven - [2001] - Carpe Diem
Will Haven - [2004] - Will Haven
Voivod - [1989] - Nothingface
Van Halen - [1980] - Women And Children First

There are a few I know are on the site, but I'm not getting hits back on them.

-G13
Florian
I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks,
~ Florian
Florian
The artistdirect.src should work now with the latest Development Build smile.gif

Best regards,
~ Florian
shufty
QUOTE (Florian @ Feb 1 2005, 10:05 AM)
The intention with the artistdirect.src I've reworked was to help shufty building this web source definition - but it seems that I have to do it by myself again dry.gif

Sorry, i've had another look, but i'm just not getting anywhere. I kind of understand the code, but not fully and sometimes i get a bit lost; maybe i did rush it the first time. When i have some free time i will look at it.
The language it web source, correct?

EDIT: I just redownload the .src file you modified, seems to be working. tried "the downward spiral", pulled results back smile.gif G13 will be happy. Thanks florian, if there are any more sites, i'd like to have a go at them too.
Digitaldesi
CDDB by Gracenote is also one of the biggest databeses out there. I know this is probably asking for too much but it will make a nice addition to the other services.
Sebastian Mares
QUOTE (Digitaldesi @ Feb 8 2005, 09:00 AM)
CDDB by Gracenote is also one of the biggest databeses out there.  I know this is probably asking for too much but it will make a nice addition to the other services.

According to their EULA, you are not allowed to implement access to other databases when using their CDDB2 service. Also, during the query you are required to display the Grancenote logo.

Edit: Oh, and the most important thing - you have to pay for the license, unless you have a non commercial product (and MP3Tag is a commercial product according to their terms of service).
carminegalante
Hello, everybody. I'm new here.

Sebastian, I guess what you say is true. But I guess a query to gracenote CDDB could be made by a web source definition (an not via any kind of protocol, that I guess is the way they ask you to pay their license -sorry, Im not a guru, nor coder so maybe Im wrong with my ideas). Once again, Im not a coder, but I looked into those ".src" files and the source code of gracenote search page and I thought it could be made easily... in my case the only thing that my non-coder brain came across was that it would be nice that someone else built it biggrin.gif hehehe.

Im suggesting this way because when I look for a specific artist, title or album it has an option to look for an exact match, or combine search options, like artist and title, artist and album, etc., so it results in a few or a single result... and not tons of them as it happens in freeDDB. I mean, I've been doing this thing of manually serching in the gracenote page since I first tagged my then short MP3 collection, but it is a hell being copying and pasting results from the web page to the program, and now more than ever when my collection has geometrically grown to the half of my "tiny" hard disc, and like 50% of it does not have its complete information (be it album, year, track numbering, etc)

P.S. Florian: cool program you've made! I've been using it like 2 o 3 years ago. Im still using an older version (2.16) 'cause it still uses the format %i - %t. OK I admit it; Im a lazy man who won't read or write those new %artist% things biggrin.gif Besides, I think older version were faster than the newer (not faster in a way that it loads quickly into the memory, but faster for a user to do its tasks in a lesser time)

Congrats to you all!
ra7h35m20s
QUOTE (Florian @ Jan 17 2005, 14:26) *
Done. smile.gif

Please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions!

Best regards,
~ Florian

Hey Florian...

The link you have in here is not functioning. Can you please fix it so I can look at what you have put together?
dano
The link is now fixed.
It is also available at the local help file.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.