Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get more out of Discogs.com?
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Development > Web Sources Scripts
Windjammer
Hi Forum,

Have been using this great program for some time now to "streamline" my MP3 collection. walkman.gif Parallel to this I have also used discorgs.com a lot to find out as much as possible about the different albums (copy-pasting into mp3tag) and only today did I find out that I could use them together... blink.gif Now I'm smiling so hard my face hurts! biggrin.gif

Now I have some questions/requests.. Here are a couple "worst case" albums I want to "extract" info about http://www.discogs.com/release/175867 another example is http://www.discogs.com/release/485695

1 - mt_freedb.png The "Album Search from Discogs.com.src" doesn't find the album at all. The "Artist Search from Discogs.com.src" finds the album but gives me a blank tag editing dialogue box (see attached pic). What is the problem with the script?

2 - mt_tag.png I would also like to get the following fields to mp3tag from the discogs.com page:
Album: Forever (Limited Edition) complete with () and text inside
Label: Alfa Matrix to the PUBLISHER field
Format: 2xCD5" to the MEDIATYPE field

3 - mt_tag.png It would also be great is mp3tag could get information from the Artist page of the album and there get:
URLs: http://www.bruderschaft.razorburn.net/ to the WWWARTIST field
Featuring: Kanye West to the LYRICIST field

4 - mt_tag.png On the Track level I would like to get:
Forever (Crystal Mix) as the track name (now all text inside () is removed)
Remix: DJ Rexx Arkana to the MIXARTIST field

OK, I think you know what I'm aiming at now... w00t.gif So, what can be done and what cannot? That what can be done, who can do it? I cannot help noticing that this part of the Forum is not very active anymore... So I'm very thankful for all the information and/or help I can get.

Thanks and regards,

Windjammer, Stockholm, Sweden santa.gif
dano
1) Get the updated discogs.src script from here
In Post #2 and #3 is also explained why some albums are not found.
The solution is to use discogs_release.src with the release ID, for example 175867 (or the normal discogs.src)

2,3,4) Can all be done. Maybe I do it.
Ydope
QUOTE (Windjammer @ Dec 5 2005, 03:20)
2 - mt_tag.png I would also like to get the following fields to mp3tag from the discogs.com page:
Label: Alfa Matrix to the PUBLISHER field
Format: 2xCD5" to the MEDIATYPE field

Yeah - Label and Format would be supa-cool! For me the third-most-interesting
is the Cat.-No. But I wouldn't know in which field to put it. Discogs-ID is in COMMENT field, which makes using dano's skripts really smooth.
dano
with Label and Format...
Ydope
QUOTE (dano @ Dec 5 2005, 15:49)
with Label and Format...

Works perfect. You're the man!
cool.gif
If there was a way now to run this like a batch process over many folders (as soon as all contained files have the discogs release ID tagged into to the comment field) at a time, confirming once for every folder, it would the absolute killer solution for bringing a collection 100% a pari to discogs.
Windjammer
Yes, indeed impressive, it works great! w00t.gif Would it be possible for you to also update the Album and Artists versions of the scrip? blink.gif

Some more requests on top of the other ones from my initial post:

1 - When the script only finds one fitting match it moves directly o the next step without giving the chance to Preview the selected item. It would be great to be able to (Pre)view the source page the information comes from before you do the import. Sometimes the same album is published by different Publishers and with this it would be possible to check if there are different versions of the album manually.

2 - Also I read somewhere else on this forum about the wish for Checkboxes for the columns and rows you which to import to/from. This would be a helpful feature as well.

These scripting capabilities are really a key differentiator for you guys! You should really push it more in your presentations/marketing about MP3tag. wink.gif
Ydope
QUOTE (dano @ Dec 5 2005, 15:49)
with Label and Format...

Oh - it doesnt work for various artists: http://www.discogs.com/release/260945
Label and Format are ignored
dano
I know. I only added it to the album code for testing.

1 - When the script only finds one fitting match it moves directly o the next step without giving the chance to Preview the selected item. It would be great to be able to (Pre)view the source page the information comes from before you do the import. Sometimes the same album is published by different Publishers and with this it would be possible to check if there are different versions of the album manually.

On what script exactly? I don't think that is really useful.

Would it be possible for you to also update the Album and Artists versions of the scrip?

No, I will only maintain one script with extended infos.
But you can update the other scripts yourself.
Just copy all the code below these lines from the discogs_release-ext.src to the other scripts at the same position (replace their old code).
CODE
[ParserScriptAlbum]=...

# ###################################################################
# This script parses the albums page for all common information.
#
# The current output variable is set via the outputto command
# All these fields are used by the confirm online information dialog
# ###################################################################

# Uncomment the following line if you want to write some debug output
Ydope
QUOTE (dano @ Dec 5 2005, 20:08)
Just copy all the code below these lines from the discogs_release-ext.src to the other scripts at the same position (replace their old code).

Does that mean, discogs-release-ext doesn't distinguish between Various Artists and normal releaes like discogs-release did? Or did i miss something here?
Windjammer
Hi dano,

Thanks for your help so far. Unfortunately did copying the code from discogs_release_EXT.scr below the point you pointed out not do the trick for me for neither the Album, the Artist nor the Release VA scripts. Doing that makes those scripts unusable for me.

It's starting to get a bit complex with all the Discogs scripts now. I now have 5 different ones: ohmy.gif

- discogs.src -> Searches by Artist name
- discogs_album.src -> Searches by Album name
- discogs_release.src -> Searches by Discogs Release Number
- discogs_release_EXT.scr -> Same as above plus imports PUBLISHER and MEDIATYPE fields
- discogs_relaese-VA -> Searches Various Artists albums by Discogs Release Number

blink.gif The discogs_album.src seems to be case sensitive, is this by design? The album Ruins Of Victory is not found but Ruins of Victory is (small o in "of").

book.gif Regarding point 1 - I'll try to be clearer on how I want to use that and perhaps you will also find it useful. For example if I want to import as much data as possible to Album http://www.discogs.com/release/233785 and I use the Album search for When It Falls (Limited Edition) I will end up in the dialogue shown in AlbumSearch.gif. What I would like to see is what I have done in AlbumSearchNew.gif. I have added a "View Source Page" button. I want to go to this page quickly to be able to copy/paste more information that is not extracted. Mostly this info is in the Notes, like who wrote the songs, who produced etc. SO it's only for taking me quickly to the source of information, do you agree it's useful? w00t.gif

/W
dano
Don't know if it helps but the code you need to copy starts on line 63 and goes till the end of the file. And it's not for discogs_relaese-VA

Not case sensitive, probably the search didn't work, try it on their homepage, you offen get a message Error: Could not connect to search server.

1) Use the album search with When It Falls

Added Mixartist
Florian
QUOTE (Windjammer @ Dec 6 2005, 02:25)
What I would like to see is what I have done in AlbumSearchNew.gif. I have added a "View Source Page" button. I want to go to this page quickly to be able to copy/paste more information that is not extracted. Mostly this info is in the Notes, like who wrote the songs, who produced etc. SO it's only for taking me quickly to the source of information, do you agree it's useful?

I like your idea and will probably add this button to the next release.

Best regards,
~ Florian
Windjammer
dano,

biggrin.gif The new script is so cool!!! One question - if you look at, for instance, Discogs ID 229472 and look at the last tune, nr 14 you see that it's Featuring - :wumpscut: and Remix - Aghast View. When you import this you will get both entries to the MIXARTIST field as seen in the attached picture. In my wish list for this I would either ONLY have Remix - Aghast View in the MIXARTIST field or even better Remix - Aghast View in the MIXARTIST field and Featuring - :wumpscut: in the LYRICIST field. Is this doable? I know I can still cut-n-past Featuring from MIXARTIST to LYRICIST but it would of cause be even nicer if it was done "automaticallyā€¯.

dry.gif Hmmm, looking at some other albums like Discogs ID 485695 I realize that the script probably reads whatever text is under the track name and imports it to the MIXARTIST field, right? As an alternative would it be possible to "send" the different entries from the MIXARTIST field to a new field with a Actions (see picture) script inside MP3tag? Like Featuring - :wumpscut: to the LYRICIST field and Co-producer - John Legend and Producer - Kanye West to the CONDUCTOR field?

1/ dano, yes, that is how I do it now. Florian, glad you like it!

/W
Ydope
Thanks dano,

First of all discogs_release-ext1.src works great for me :-) Ich ziehe den Hut.

What would you recommend for albums like this one? http://www.discogs.com/release/343093

I used to use discogs-release-va for those but you said it can't be adjusted to retrieving the additional tags. Is there a work-around?

Greetings, Y
Windjammer
Hi Ydope,

The workaround for Discogs ID 343093 to get all information would be as follows.

1 - Run Discogs.com search for Release.src to get all extra information
2 - Run Discogs.com search for Release with Various Artists.src to get Artist/Title correct

At least this worked for me on some other albums. cool.gif

/W
dano
Ydope:
Ofc you can also use the code in the release-VA
You do it exactly like the other scripts, and then remove some parts:
CODE
Remove line 66: if "Various "
and remove everything below
# End of VA
# ###############################################################

Windjammer:
Yes it puts everything in MIXARTIST
I will look what is better: to use an action for the seperation or directly in the script (if possible at all)
Ydope
Guys - that's great. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.