Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about M3U8, Unicode, Windows Media Player & Stuff
Mp3tag Forums > Mp3tag - International > Development > Export
Solon
Well, well. I played around with the export of MP3Tag the last few days, choked Google for a complete solution, but I'm still stranded.

I "just" need a playlist for unicoded MP3s. That was quite simply done with this MTE:
CODE
$filename(m3u8,utf-8)#EXTM3U
#EXTART:%artist%
#EXTALB:%album%
$loop(%track%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,%artist%  -  %title%
%_filename_ext%
$loopend()

This is more or less the UTF-8 version of the playlist MP3Tag writes as M3U, that one would be exactly
CODE
$filename(m3u)#EXTM3U
$loop(%track%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,%artist%  -  %title%
%_filename_ext%
$loopend()

Right so far? At least it looks like it generates the same M3Us as MP3Tag and the UTF-8 export works fine within Winamp and Foobar, but Windows Media Player does not recognise M3U8 at all.

BTW, I couldn't find any really useful information about the M3U8 format, just the regular stuff about M3U from Winamp. OK, M3U8 is M3U with UTF-8, but what about the header #EXTM3U? Do I have to write #EXTM3U8 instead or is this obsolete now?

And is there any unicoded playlist I could export to, that works with at least the most important players on any platform?
Florian
The m3u8 format is not specified somewhere. It's supported by Mp3tag and foobar2000 and it's basically the same as M3U but encoded as UTF-8.

Regarding Unicode playlists you might have a look at XSPF. It seems to be supported by a lot of applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.