IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> REQUEST: pre-load of files, "Index" files after the system start up
Zerow
post Aug 24 2017, 16:26
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 20375
Mp3tag Version: 2.84

I would like Mp3tag to somehow run in itself the background after the system waking up, loading up designated folders / playlists

It's not every time that I use Mp3tag and it not that I run it from the starting of the operating system. But I [almost] always start using Mp3tag by loading of all of my files- and that takes time. So if they were loaded up somehow before, it would save me a lot of time

Maybe something like a stripped down version of Mp3tag [that could be hidden in a tray independently from the big Mp3tag running or not runnning] would do the trick? But I guess it would require two instances of Mp3tag- a concept many times deemed by Florian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 24 2017, 20:26
Post #2

Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.84a

ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 24 2017, 17:26) *
I would like Mp3tag to somehow run in itself the background after the system waking up, loading up designated folders / playlists...

Isn't this function already there?
In the shape of the Autostart menu, the option to start a program minimized, the option in MP3tag to set a start folder?

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 24 2017, 22:02
Post #3

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 24 2017, 21:26) *
Isn't this function already there?
In the shape of the Autostart menu, the option to start a program minimized, the option in MP3tag to set a start folder?
Maybe I should expand my request

How about it would be also definable after how many minutes a re-loading should be performed? In the background, in this side version of Mp3tag. So that I could move files with file handler and have [quite] up to date list of files ready; so that when I actually open Mp3tag [for the first time] it would have most of the reading work done [by having most of the files already loaded to RAM]

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 25 2017, 06:46
Post #4

ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 24 2017, 23:02) *
Maybe I should expand my request

Why?
ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 24 2017, 23:02) *
How about it would be also definable after how many minutes a re-loading should be performed?
In the background, in this side version of Mp3tag. So that I could move files with file handler and have [quite] up to date list of files ready; so that when I actually open Mp3tag [for the first time] it would have most of the reading work done [by having most of the files already loaded to RAM]

Doesn't this idea (hdd intensive process running in the background) collide with your reservations from https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=98225 where you would not let the Windows indexer do its duty as this slows down your system.
The feature to first load the list, then watch it and constantly update it is something completely different.

So all in all I still would say: it is already possible to get MP3tag to load files at the time of beginning of a session.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 25 2017, 13:12
Post #5

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 25 2017, 07:46) *
Why?

Doesn't this idea (hdd intensive process running in the background) collide with your reservations from https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=98225 where you would not let the Windows indexer do its duty as this slows down your system.
The feature to first load the list, then watch it and constantly update it is something completely different.
[...]
Indexing whole drive is something different than indexing specific folders

You also probably do not keep music with pictures in the same location

But only now have I remembered that you can index [by Windows] also only folders and not whole drives

But are you trying to tell me that if I let the Windows index my hard drive with music then my music will be loaded faster to Mp3tag after a system reboot?

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 25 2017, 14:54
Post #6

ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 25 2017, 14:12) *
...But are you trying to tell me that if I let the Windows index my hard drive with music then my music will be loaded faster to Mp3tag after a system reboot?

No. I am pretty sure that I did not say anything like that.
Indexing is fine for searching but does hardly anything for loading, I would say.
Perhaps you mixed this thread with this reply:
https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=98244

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 26 2017, 16:43
Post #7

QUOTE (Zerow @ Aug 25 2017, 14:12) *
[...]
But are you trying to tell me that if I let the Windows index my hard drive with music then my music will be loaded faster to Mp3tag after a system reboot?

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 25 2017, 15:54) *
No. I am pretty sure that I did not say anything like that.
An that is why I asked

Now it's clear

QUOTE (Zerow @ Aug 25 2017, 14:12) *
Indexing is fine for searching but does hardly anything for loading, I would say.
So pre-loading of list of files before [later on] opening of Mp3tag would be beneficial

But it would almost the same thing as just opening Mp3tag and loading the files

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 25 2017, 15:54) *
Perhaps you mixed this thread with this reply:
https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=98244
No

It's only now that I have read it

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 28 2017, 20:06
Post #8

How about a system like that:

1] User boots up. Mp3tag is not opened but a silent mini-version is auto running from the start

2] Mini-version loads the files and monitors the folders if there is any addition to them or removal or renaming. User decides how often should such check up be done; for example 5 minutes

3] Mp3tag is opened. And as the mini-version was already running, files are instantly shown. And as a fail-safe, there is indication within the normal Mp3tag which shows how much more files does it need to check to see if that is up to date

4] 5 minutes later a mini-version checks the files once more. Or after for example as little as 3 minutes, which would be a separate setting [differentiating between the state when there is only mini-version running in the background and the state where the normal Mp3tag is opened

All of this should be of course optional and not turned on by default; so that it would be accessed by advanced users

I guess that it would require a second inconstancy, a concept already [negatively] discussed on this forum. But wouldn't this help combat the problem of slow load up of tens of thousands of files? This problem will go away in the future with the advancement in hardware, but it will probably take something like a decade for an ordinary drive to be able to load 100 000 seconds in a matter of a 2-3 seconds

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 28 2017, 21:32
Post #9

Just to give you an idea:

WMP checks files "in the background" i.e. it has a background update mechanism that scans the drive for updates and modifications.
It all works well with collections of up something like 30,000 files.
Beyond 100,000 you get frequent errors that there is something wrong with the library database and whether one would like to fix it.
If you tell it to fix it, you wait for more than a day until all the files have been read back into the library.
In short: it simply does not work.
MP3tag has the additional drawback that it does not use a database. Well, it is not actually a drawback - Mp3tag is not administration program for a collection, so it does not need a database.
A safeguard would have to be implemented that watches the amount of consumed RAM so that MP3tag does not crash.
And many more things.
So, yes, we are all entitled to post our ideas about future concepts.
But no, not all of them are actually good ones to be put into practice.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 04:44