[F] "MM Rating" field needs updating

During the MediaMonkey 3.1 development cycle, some changes were made to MediaMonkey's Ratings values to fall more in line with WMP/Windows/etc. As a result, this feature in your program has been thrown off. Some ratings in MM appear lower in your program, while other MM ratings aren't shown under the MM Rating field, but rather as a normal POPM entry.

Seeing as 3.1 has been officially released and this change is now out in the wild, you might want to look into adjusting things within MP3Tag, if you plan to continue to support this feature. It doesn't contain information about what the values were changed to, but the relevant MediaMonkey bug entry for this change is here, I believe.

Interesting. I checked it, these should be the new values Florian:

:ph34r:

Dano looks to be correct.

Thanks dano for the new values. I'll update them with the next build.

Kind regards,
Florian

I'll update them with the next build.

Er, Florian, PLEASE do not break compatibility for people remaining on previous MM versions.

If Mp3tag is to accomodate MM's new back-incompatible ratings levels, it should be WITHOUT messing with the existing %rating mm%. E.g. should be by a new %rating mm 2%.

Sorry, but I don't plan to maintain multiple versions of that field.

How then Florian will you avoid your proposed change messing up the majority of MM users - those on previous versions?

Proof?

It's not like they would be unable to edit ratings anymore. They would be available just as they appeared before Florian implemented the MM Rating 'field,' as standard POPM entries. Florian doesn't have to even offer this feature, but he chose to. 3.1 has been released and is the official version now, as a result, I feel if Florian wants to continue to support this field, it should reflect the current official build, not an outdated one that some may continue to use.

It's not like they would be unable to edit ratings anymore.

No-one suggested that.

They would be available just as they appeared before Florian
implemented the MM Rating 'field,'

That is no use or relevence to users of Rating MM.

Florian doesn't have to even offer this feature

He's not 'offering' it. It is a defined facility of Mp3tag. See https://docs.mp3tag.de/mapping .

I feel if Florian wants to continue to support this field, it should
reflect the current official build

That would break compatibility with existing scripts. I.e. the same script on the same rating values would give different output.

I wonder if you'll be here proposing compatibility breakage every time the MediaMonkey developers change their mind about their official ratings coding...

Yes, I'll be here proposing a change every time a change in MM's ratings values make it into the official release. It's not as if I was here months ago when the change was first implemented into the Betas, only when 3.1 went official and was released to the general public did I come here and suggest this change.

It's not as if I was here months ago when the change was first implemented into the Betas,

Again, no-one suggested that.

Yes, I'll be here proposing a change every time a change in MM's ratings values
make it into the official release.

I am sad to see you MediaMonkey people are not satisfied to keep breakages of back-compatability to your own product.

If you have such a problem with MediaMonkey, perhaps it would just be easier for you to discontinue use of it?

You are wrong.

I've updated the internal mapping to MediaMonkey 3.1 values with the current Development Build.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.