IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

Abbreviations: (will be specified by moderators/administrators)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [AF] Mp3tag unnecessary wakes up inactive drives, Mp3tag "prepares" a search for files on wrong drives
Zerow
post Jan 2 2018, 14:49
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 20375
Mp3tag Version: 2.86

I have Mp3tag pinned down to Taskbar of Windows 7. Under its icon I have shortcuts to playlists- those playlists save me a lot of time, because with as little as only two clicks and minimal pointer movement I can load up all my files to Mp3tag

And here is the bug: even thought my playlists have only locations listed on drive M, Mp3tag deems it necessary to start up my drive X, which is turned off most of the time [to save energy and avoid noise], when I click those shortcuts

Although it may be not a Mp3tag bug but just a regular Windows behavior, as the same happens when I run Corel DRAW from pinned down shortcut- with no settings of any kind stored on or leading to drive X, that drive X starts to spins. But then again- maybe it is the same kind of bug that exists in both Mp3tag and Corel DRAW; or a default Windows behavior that could be removed from Mp3tag [and thus should be into a request instead of labeling it as a bug]?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Jan 3 2018, 17:32
Post #2

Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.85k

ZITAT(Zerow @ Jan 2 2018, 14:49) *
...Although it may be not a Mp3tag bug but just a regular Windows behavior, as the same happens ...

You could use a process monitor first (e.g. by sysinternals) to see which processes access your sleepy drive.

BTW: didn't you ask in this thread
https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=23195
for a solution to wake up a drive? To me that looks like the exact opposite of this "bug" report.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Jan 3 2018, 19:39

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Jan 4 2018, 17:13
Post #3

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jan 3 2018, 17:32) *
You could use a process monitor first (e.g. by sysinternals) to see which processes access your sleepy drive.
I doubt it. Because it is probably like that: an useless request is send from either directly Mp3tag or from some Windows sub-process, probably already being run by the OS. In the first case scenario it is the fault of Mp3tag. In the second case scenario I will most likely not be able to pint point the process [because there are already running all over my system]

And it is kind of like when I was trying to figure out why sometimes my inactive drive wakes up on its own: when I heard it start to spin I quickly went to the Resource Monitor, to see what process accessing now drive X. Of course no process was ever accessing it- I had whole bunch of them with pathways leading to drive C and some number to other active drives, but I never got to see what was requesting drive X. Maybe if I would stare without blinking at Resource Monitor for a couple of hours, then I could catch that process at the very moment. [My guess is it is my antivirus software doing some brief check of hardware availability / readiness]

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jan 3 2018, 17:32) *
BTW: didn't you ask in this thread
https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=23195
for a solution to wake up a drive? To me that looks like the exact opposite of this "bug" report.
This bug report of mine [or a request if it is a fault of Windows] is valid. This current behavior described by me not only has no purpose but it is also counter-productive for anyone who turns off drives on purpose [as we lose time when we wait for them to wake up]

And that solution for waking up is also exactly what I am looking for: even If smeone would write me a file that will step by step:
1] Close MP3tag if it is opened
2] Open Mp3tag [thus start to wake drive X because of this bug]
3] Close Mp3tag
4] Start closing of the Windows, not waiting for the drive X to start spinning with full speed
then my search would be over only until some hypothetical Mp3tag and / or Windows update would stop waking up inactive drives upon opening of software [Mp3tag, CorelDRAW and possible countless others]; because then such file would be rendered useless

This post has been edited by Zerow: Jan 16 2018, 18:04

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Jan 5 2018, 10:48
Post #4

ZITAT(Zerow @ Jan 4 2018, 17:13) *
...I quickly went to the Resource Monitor,...

The Windows built-in resource monitor is no process monitor as supplied by e.g. sysinternals - see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinterna...rocess-explorer

This program allows you to add some more substance to your claim of MP3tag bugginess as it would allow you to see whether MP3tag accesses drives that are not included in the playlists.

Edit: on the problem of waking up drives for shutdown:
Some motherboards allow to set SATA ports to a mode in which you can eject the connected drives (i.e. logically disconnect the drives from the OS). Perhaps this is a solution if you do not want to let them run all the time.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Jan 5 2018, 10:54

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Jan 16 2018, 18:14
Post #5

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jan 5 2018, 10:48) *
The Windows built-in resource monitor is no process monitor as supplied by e.g. sysinternals - see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinterna...rocess-explorer

This program allows you to add some more substance to your claim of MP3tag bugginess as it would allow you to see whether MP3tag accesses drives that are not included in the playlists.
OK, I will try out this software for monitoring of the OS

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Jan 5 2018, 10:48) *
Edit: on the problem of waking up drives for shutdown:
Some motherboards allow to set SATA ports to a mode in which you can eject the connected drives (i.e. logically disconnect the drives from the OS). Perhaps this is a solution if you do not want to let them run all the time.
No, that is not a solution. That is asking for a mechanical failure at some point, coming out from constant inserting / pulling out of whatever few times a days, 365 days a year. It would be a real solution if I had like a switchboard under my desk, so that I could plug / unplug a given device [like a specific hard drive] with just a push of a button. [I wish I had such thing- to be able to turn of drives, Internet, lighting with a set of buttons on a control panel of some sort- I bet it is doable but also nobody makes and sell stuff like this]

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Jan 16 2018, 18:57
Post #6

ZITAT(Zerow @ Jan 16 2018, 18:14) *
...That is asking for a mechanical failure ...

As I wrote: logically disconnect the drives from the OS. This does not mean to unplug it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 20:07