[F] Several inconsistencies & bugs in saving FLAC tags

I'll start with examples.

Below is three listings from "metaflac.exe --list --block-number=2" command from one FLAC file (I removed some original tags with metaflac.exe "--remove-tag=" command for this to be easier to read):

1. ORIGINAL:

METADATA block #2
    type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
    is last: false
    length: 157
    vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917
    comments: 6
    comment[0]: artist=Corduroy
    comment[1]: album=Out Of Here
    comment[2]: Tracknumber=01/13
    comment[3]: discname=
    comment[4]: title=Don't Wait For Monday
    comment[5]: comment=

2. Edited + saved from the tag panel (using ORIGINAL as base):

METADATA block #2
    length: 153
    comments: 5
    comment[0]: discname=
    comment[1]: Album=Out Of Here
    comment[2]: Artist=Corduroy CHANGED
    comment[3]: Title=Don't Wait For Monday
    comment[4]: Tracknumber=01/13

3. Edited + saved from the extended tags dialog (using ORIGINAL as base):

METADATA block #2
    length: 144
    comments: 4
    comment[0]: album=Out Of Here
    comment[1]: ARTIST=Corduroy CHANGED 222
    comment[2]: title=Don't Wait For Monday
    comment[3]: Tracknumber=01/13
    Problems:

• 2nd listing shows that the empty "comment" tag is removed, but the empty "discname" tag is retained. (The "comment" tag is also retained IF one chooses the "< keep >" from the tag panel "Comment" combobox.)
    • 3rd listing shows that both of the empty tags ("comment" & "discname") are removed. Working like it should?
    • Tag order is not retained (I don't know if this is important or not).
    • Tag label casing is modified, and differently in listings 2 and 3.

My suggestions how these problems should be fixed:
    • Do not change casing of tag labels.
    • Retain tag order. I.e. do not use alphabetical sort.. or any kind of sort.
    • Either remove all empty tags or don't by default, i.e. fix the tag remove inconsistencies.
    • Add an option to retain ALL empty tags in settings. Please! :slight_smile:

The thread where this started from: Empty "Comment" tag (flac) removed when saving.

Tested with versions 2.41 & 2.41c beta.

Hmm, is there a problem deciphering my bug report? Do I need to add more information?

Thanks. (Patiently trying to wait for this to be fixed.. or at least recognized. :slight_smile:)

The post is recognized (I was following the other one too) but I'm simply too busy with preparing the new version at the moment to look into it.

But I will for sure, when v2.42 is out.

When tagging "PUBLISHER" for FLAC files, mp3tag somehow turn it into the "Organization" field instead.

For example, when I tag 'EMI' as Publisher into a FLAC file, it would not show up in Winamp's File Info -> Basic Info -> Publisher field; when I click on the Advanced tab, it'd list 'EMI' as under the "Organization" field, which is useless as no one would read that.

Hi Florian, I don't want to sound ungrateful and hasty but, the infamous but, could you please update the situation with these problems? (mark confirmed/etc.) And possibly tell what of these you're not going to change.

You see, I've waited several months now with about 300 CD's laying around waiting for these things to be fixed. I've an external script ready for a procedure where I add some tags and.. anyways, I wanted to use Mp3tag GUI (+launch tool) for selecting files.. I tried to save time by not having to code a temp GUI for this.. but now I'm getting inpatient, unfortunately..

Thanks.. and sorry. :slight_smile:

No, I'm sorry for not coming back to this topic. The last few weeks have been very busy and what you can see on the forums is only a part of the total support load.

I promise to give an update on this by the weekend.

1. This is not possible due to how Mp3tag works internally. I don't consider this to be a bug.
  2. Same as above.
  3. Yes, I'll remove all empty tags.
  4. Sorry, but adding an option for this special case is not planned. As a workaround, I suggest to use something like FIELD=1.
Marked as [C] because of the inconsistency regarding empty tags.

Kind regards,
Florian

Finally, thank you.

But, your response was a HUGE disappointment. :frowning: :frowning:

1-2. Lame excuse, not possible? You're the coder, you've the power to change it. Right? DetlevD is backing me on this that these are BUGS.
3. Ok.
4. In short: lame. So I should populate all my empty tag values (which are set that way when the FLAC file is encoded) if I ever want to use your software?! Sheesh, that's lame.

I'm really disappointed after waiting several months.. and because now I've to find me a new tagging software.. and not just because you won't implement the feature in the 4th list item.. it's the 1-2 list items, I thought that those would be a clear case.

Oh well, I think that I should say thanks anyways, so, thanks, and bye (I'll follow this thread for some time).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.