Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disc defrag order
Zerow
post Aug 20 2017, 14:34
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 20375
Mp3tag Version: 2.84

I'm looking for a software that will let me defragment my disc but with setting the order of folders- so that a I can put most accessed data where it will be read faster. Does anyone know of such?

I am already using UltimateDefrag for that purpose. But my full version 3 says "error" for one of the discs, while a trail of the newest installment of the version 5 analyzes the same disc but then then defragments it in a matter of seconds- not doing any work actually. [For other discs UltimateDefrag software works A-OK, but the drive in question has 8 TB and I was able to remove from it temporarily only 2 TB of data- so I cannot format it. The CHKDSK option did not show up any problems on it; and there were no problems with defragmenting that drive in the past with UltimateDefrag. Moreover, other defragmenting software has no problem with that disc today]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
poster
post Aug 20 2017, 15:32
Post #2

Member No.: 9241
Mp3tag Version: 2.85

ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 20 2017, 15:34) *
I'm looking for a software that will let me defragment my disc but with setting the order of folders- so that a I can put most accessed data where it will be read faster.

There is no order of folders that has any influence and with modern Windows it is not necessary to defragment your disk with separate software. Windows itself does this regularly in a sufficient way with harddisks.

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 20 2017, 16:37
Post #3

QUOTE (poster @ Aug 20 2017, 16:32) *
There is no order of folders that has any influence and with modern Windows it is not necessary to defragment your disk with separate software. Windows itself does this regularly in a sufficient way with harddisks.
Please... I had / read such discussions in other places. To sum them up:

A] My speed tests / usage clearly show there is a need for defragmenting

B] With different kinds of data like multiple copies of my music and multiple OS images residing on the same drive, it is beneficial to store aforementioned music in the outer tracks [as I access them frequently in opposition to almost very rarely used system images]

C] How does this blunt Microsoft tool can be seriously compared with all those pieces of software out there? It's like comparing Windows Explorer with probably any available file handler- yes they both work; and that's about it. Bottom line: this Microsoft tool does not have the feature wich I am after

Aside from that: my Windows 7 x64 does not do anything regularly without my consent; is what I like to believe, but it is certainly true in regard to defragmentation

This post has been edited by Zerow: Aug 20 2017, 17:51

+Quote Post
poster
post Aug 21 2017, 09:16
Post #4

Member No.: 9241

ZITAT(Zerow @ Aug 20 2017, 17:37) *
A] My speed tests / usage clearly show there is a need for defragmenting

Don't make speed tests, just work with your computer. And as long as you don't notice any mentionable difference in work, there is no sense in tuning to get a task done in 199 seconds instead of 200 seconds.

ZITAT
Aside from that: my Windows 7 x64 does not do anything regularly without my consent; is what I like to believe, but it is certainly true in regard to defragmentation

If this is so you have no standard installation or changed the features of your windows installation yourself in this point and got it done by some of these "marvellous" windows tuning programs on the market, which are responsible for a lot of the problems users have with windows.

If you have not done one of these things have a look at the windows task scheduler in the section "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag". There you will probably find a task for defrag that is scheduled once a week, Wednesday 1.00 am.

ZITAT
Bottom line: this Microsoft tool does not have the feature wich I am after

I was not saying that defrag has this feature you're after. I am saying that there is no necessity to waste spirit on such features.

This post has been edited by poster: Aug 21 2017, 09:24

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 23 2017, 06:36
Post #5

Member No.: 11458

Here is a Wikipedia article on Defragmentation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

It also deals with a possible performance increase.

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Zerow
post Aug 24 2017, 14:33
Post #6

QUOTE (poster @ Aug 21 2017, 10:16) *
Don't make speed tests, just work with your computer. And as long as you don't notice any mentionable difference in work, there is no sense in tuning to get a task done in 199 seconds instead of 200 seconds.
I did the first one and then started doing the other

As for the differences I'm talking about going from speeds of 100-150 MB/s to 15-20 MB/s

It's either the fault of the drive itself no matter what I do [in that it will be that slow with the last ~5% of available space]

Or this can me improved with a specific defragmentation [which for some reasons started to work properly on that particular drive]

If this is so you have no standard installation or changed the features of your windows installation yourself in this point and got it done by some of these "marvellous" windows tuning programs on the market, which are responsible for a lot of the problems users have with windows.
If it wasn't for all those pieces of software and edits in the registry, I wouldn't dare to call my hardware a personal computer but a console-like-substitute

If you have not done one of these things have a look at the windows task scheduler in the section "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag". There you will probably find a task for defrag that is scheduled once a week, Wednesday 1.00 am.

I was not saying that defrag has this feature you're after. I am saying that there is no necessity to waste spirit on such features.
You say this and my empirical data says the opposite

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 23 2017, 07:36) *
Here is a Wikipedia article on Defragmentation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

It also deals with a possible performance increase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentati..._and_optimizing section confirms my claims

Unfortunately the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...tation_software section does differentiate by the option that I am after

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 22:26