IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [X] Grouping tag - empty field doesn't show in iTunes?
Durwin99
post Feb 28 2017, 14:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23130
Mp3tag Version: 2.81

I have recently realised that Apple stupidly changed the way they treat the "Grouping" information for tracks within iTunes (I'm on 12.5.5.5 Windows 7 x64) - reading/writing this information now to a new tag called I believe "Grp1" whereas before it was something like "ContentGroup". So, I updated MP3Tag to v2.81 so I could see this tag.

I'm working with an .mp3 file. When I edit the "Grouping" tag in MP3Tag Editor, all the changes are correctly reflected in iTunes ("Grouping" field) *except* when I erase the tag contents (or set it to <blank>) - then iTunes still shows the last non-empty tag content, not the empty content. If I close and re-open MP3Tag Editor with this .mp3 file, it still shows as a blank tag, but iTunes refuses to show this. Any changes I make the other way (ie edit in iTunes) work fine, including a blank tag.

I have tried this with MP3Tag set to read/write ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags, and also just with ID3v2 tags, with the same result.

Is this iTunes messing up or something in MP3Tag? I realise this "Grouping" tag was added in this latest version...

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Feb 28 2017, 14:22
Post #2

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.81b

ZITAT(Durwin99 @ Feb 28 2017, 14:07) *
... *except* when I erase the tag contents (or set it to <blank>) - then iTunes still shows the last non-empty tag content, not the empty content. If I close and re-open MP3Tag Editor with this .mp3 file, it still shows as a blank tag, but iTunes refuses to show this. Any changes I make the other way (ie edit in iTunes) work fine, including a blank tag.

I do not think that it is possible to keep a field name but blank the data. I did not succeed to save an empty field definition.

So what is this about? That the iTunes database is not updated by iTunes?
I think the only way to do it is to delete the entry from iTunes and then add the file again.
In a way the described behaviour resembles the behaviour when compilation was set to 1 and removed later. The iTunes never released that track from the compilation display until it was deleted forcefully and reimported.
Is this so?

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Durwin99
post Feb 28 2017, 17:52
Post #3

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Feb 28 2017, 13:22) *
I do not think that it is possible to keep a field name but blank the data. I did not succeed to save an empty field definition.

So what is this about? That the iTunes database is not updated by iTunes?
I think the only way to do it is to delete the entry from iTunes and then add the file again.
In a way the described behaviour resembles the behaviour when compilation was set to 1 and removed later. The iTunes never released that track from the compilation display until it was deleted forcefully and reimported.
Is this so?

I didn't think to try deleting the tag itself, but I've tested that and I get the same thing - MP3Tag says the tag is gone but iTunes refuses to remove it.

I think this must be as you say - something wrong with iTunes; I did another test & added some Grouping tag information and also Composer, BPM, Disk Number tags to another .mp3 file. These changes show in iTunes OK. When I remove the tags again, they don't get removed in iTunes.

If I remove the track from iTunes, clear the Grouping tag and re-add it into iTunes, there is no Grouping data there. So, it looks like iTunes will read all .mp3 tags when the file is first added to the database, it will also read any changes made in a tag, but it will NOT read any empty tags and clear them in the database. I suppose this is by design, but it is annoying!

So, yes, I could remove all my affected tracks from iTunes and add them again but I really don't want to - I have playlists based on "Last Played" & "Play Count" information & I've spent years getting that info into the database! What a pain iTunes is !!!

OK, I think we are sure this isn't a bug with MP3Tag Editor - can a moderator move this thread somewhere else?
Thanks

+Quote Post
Mike_nl
post Mar 1 2017, 10:59
Post #4

Member No.: 6480

There is a way to do it, but I doubt it you will like it as it can be very tricky.

As you found out iTunes stores a lot of information in it's Database (iTunes Library.xml & iTunes Library.itl) files.

Please before doing anything of the following, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP your iTunes.

The so called workaround consists of
- Backup iTunes again wink.gif
- Shutdown iTunes
- Remove iTunes Library.itl
- edit iTunes Library.xml with a capable Editor and remove the offending tags
- Start iTunes by Holding down the SHIFT key (select Choose Library) and browse to the iTunes Library.xml and check !
- The iTL file will be rebuild with the info from the XML you just edited.

Good Luck !

This post has been edited by Mike_nl: Mar 1 2017, 11:01

--------------------
Have fun while it lasts ;)

+Quote Post
Durwin99
post Mar 1 2017, 11:54
Post #5

QUOTE (Mike_nl @ Mar 1 2017, 09:59) *
There is a way to do it, but I doubt it you will like it as it can be very tricky.

Thanks, that is a useful tip... I have multiple backups of iTunes anyway but thanks for the warning too! I've delved into the Library XML file a lot, but I've never made changes to it before, I'd forgotten it could be used to rebuild the ITL file. A while ago I wrote a VBscript that would parse the XML file and get all the track, album ratings etc, then output it to a spreadsheet with meaningful data like my top 20 rated albums etc - it also warns me of any albums that have had their "Album Rating" forcefully set - a bug I've been fighting in iTunes or iphone for a while... I've noticed now that iTunes is syncing the same 160+ music tracks every time to my iphone, must be a corruption in the database so perhaps I'm due a rebuild!! I could kill, what, 4 birds with one stone?
Cheers

+Quote Post
Mike_nl
post Mar 1 2017, 12:30
Post #6

Member No.: 6480

QUOTE (Durwin99 @ Mar 1 2017, 17:54) *
<snip>
a bug I've been fighting in iTunes or iphone for a while... I've noticed now that iTunes is syncing the same 160+ music tracks every time to my iphone, must be a corruption in the database so perhaps I'm due a rebuild!! I could kill, what, 4 birds with one stone?
Cheers

Nope. NO corruption in the iTunes Database. Please read on.

I have been struggling with that BUG also !! You are lucky with your 160+, I think on my at one point it was around 2000. Even caused me to wipe my iPhone / iPod a couple of times because I thought it was corruption as you did.

I think I have to change my whole collection (over 12k), but I have been putting that off and because of this I stopped playing music via iTunes.

The Reason why it's doing this ???

Every time a song plays (MP3) which has CONTENTGROUP filled in, iTunes files WORK with the CONTENTGROUP tag. And for a UNKNOWN reason (to me that is) this causes you iDevices to SYNC these songs over and over and over again.

The solution:

Easy (when you know it) REMOVE WORK from the Song

Just add a column in iTunes which shows WORK and then remove.

Annoying problem this was, posted a topic about it on the iTunes discussion forum and it was 1st thought that it was Custom Lyrics, then Custom Pictures then .. then.. and then finally someone posted about the WORK.

I have made an action group in MP3tag (I use it on Mp3's only)
(Please note: this works only with MP3tag version 2.81 and up)

= 1st one =
Format Value:
Field: GROUPING
Format String: $if2(%contentgroup%,%grouping%)

= 2nd one =
Remove Fields
Fields to remove: contentgroup

This post has been edited by Mike_nl: Mar 1 2017, 12:39

--------------------
Have fun while it lasts ;)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd March 2017 - 11:27