IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

Abbreviations: (will be specified by moderators/administrators)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [F] Incorrect language in UI
ohrenkino
post Dec 2 2017, 11:44
Post #16

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.85k

Hello user dauma,

No one doubts that your initial observation is right.
You have also had the chance to see the reasoning behind the function that you grade as buggy behaviour.

What I would like to hear from you is how you think that the behaviour could become less bug-ridden and include the preservation user-defined labels and field definitions.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Dec 2 2017, 11:44

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dauma
post Dec 2 2017, 12:13
Post #17

Member No.: 24221
Mp3tag Version: 2.85

QUOTE (poster @ Dec 2 2017, 12:43) *
That is not a speculation but a logic conclusion.
Do you see defined tag-fields there or not? This is easy to check.

I didn't define anything. It's fresh install, mate. You can go and delete the files described in links user' added, execute the app and change the language.

I'm not arguing about other worlds, just this, and what I see on my monitor. Let's meet when near, man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Florian
post Dec 2 2017, 13:10
Post #18

Developer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

Wow, this topic really went somewhere strange quickly. I'll try to clarify:

TL;DR version:
I didn't consider this a bug in the linked topics, but I've changed my mind. I think Mp3tag should at least translate the fields that are part of the standard installation and are not changed.

Long version:
Two topics are mixed in those posts, which are
  1. Mp3tag's language selection logic

Mp3tag doesn't offer language selection during installation anymore, because it's difficult to impossible (for me) to achieve this given the architecture of the used installation system and admin-eleveation during installation. Because of this, Mp3tag is trying to detect the user language and uses the user locale as its means to determine the language to be used in Mp3tag. For users with different Windows language / user local, this is sometimes surprising — and sometimes not.

I don't see this as a bug, but maybe this can be improved further on.

2. Mp3tag's behavior when switching languages

Mp3tag offers customization of file-list columns and tag-panel entries and comes with a default set of those. In the past, my thinking was, that I preferably don't mess around with those entries because they might be changed by the user. However, - and this is where I've changed my mind -, I think Mp3tag can detect which fields are changed and which are not, and auto-translate those unchanged fields. This comes with some implementation effort, but I think it's worth the effort given the amount of discussion and confusion which is otherwise produced.
— Florian

--------------------
♫ If you like using Mp3tag please donate to support further development.

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Dec 2 2017, 13:27
Post #19

Member No.: 3194

QUOTE (dauma @ Dec 2 2017, 10:27) *
No user actions were done except language change. ...

Well, if this case should be true, then you did not apply a fresh installation of Mp3tag.
Anywhere in your user related Mp3tag appdata disk folder there might be some old file "usrfields.ini", which carries some user defined entries of foreign language.
Search the folder ... "%appdata%\Mp3tag\data"

DD.20171202.1327.CET

--------------------
* Beyond that, don't ask, when you don't know what to do with the answer. *
♥ home is where the heart is ♥

+Quote Post
Florian
post Dec 2 2017, 13:33
Post #20

Developer

QUOTE (DetlevD @ Dec 2 2017, 13:27) *
Well, if this case should be true, then you did not apply a fresh installation of Mp3tag.

Detlev, maybe you didn't take the time to read my post above: those fields are also added with a fresh installation of Mp3tag.

Please don't add further confusion. If something is unclear from my post above, please refer to this post.

– Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post
poster
post Dec 2 2017, 13:37
Post #21

Member No.: 9241

ZITAT(Florian @ Dec 2 2017, 13:10) *
I think Mp3tag can detect which fields are changed and which are not, and auto-translate those unchanged fields. This comes with some implementation effort, but I think it's worth the effort given the amount of discussion and confusion which is otherwise produced.

Does that mean that Mp3Tag has a look at the tag-field itself, looks at the name of the tag-field and if this name is "original" changes it according to the language?
So you regard a special name for a tag-field in each language as original?
Are there "original" names beyond the predefined column- and tagpanel-view?

This post has been edited by poster: Dec 2 2017, 13:38

+Quote Post
Florian
post Dec 2 2017, 13:51
Post #22

Developer

QUOTE (poster @ Dec 2 2017, 13:37) *
Does that mean that Mp3Tag has a look at the tag-field itself, looks at the name of the tag-field and if this name is "original" changes it according to the language?

Yes. For the tag-panel fields I'd check the default ones (currently ALBUMARTIST, COMPOSER, and DISCNUMBER) and use the translated names for them on language change. Same applies to the columns of the file view.

So you regard a special name for a tag-field in each language as original?

I'm not sure, if I fully understand what you mean by "special name". I'd look at the internal representation which is the field name that is used internally (same as, e.g., in format strings) and use this one as a means for detecting "original" fields. Then compare the language-specific name of this default field (e.g., Kompozitorius for composer in Lithuanian) and only then auto-translate to the target language.

Are there "original" names beyond the predefined column- and tagpanel-view?

No. If you add a "real" user-defined entry to the Tag Panel, e.g., "Sortierung Interpret" for ARTISTSORT, Mp3tag would leave this untouched.

— Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Dec 2 2017, 13:55
Post #23

Member No.: 3194

QUOTE (Florian @ Dec 2 2017, 13:33) *
Detlev, maybe you didn't take the time to read my post above ...

Sorry, I did not saw and read your statement until after I sent my message.

DD.20171202.1355.CET

Florian, would have your planned change affect this file?
Attached File  Kopie_von_usrfields.ini.txt ( 874bytes ) Number of downloads: 25

DD.20171202.1410.CET

This post has been edited by DetlevD: Dec 2 2017, 14:17

--------------------
* Beyond that, don't ask, when you don't know what to do with the answer. *
♥ home is where the heart is ♥

+Quote Post
poster
post Dec 2 2017, 14:38
Post #24

Member No.: 9241

ZITAT(Florian @ Dec 2 2017, 13:51) *
I'm not sure, if I fully understand what you mean by "special name". I'd look at the internal representation which is the field name that is used internally (same as, e.g., in format strings) and use this one as a means for detecting "original" fields. Then compare the language-specific name of this default field (e.g., Kompozitorius for composer in Lithuanian) and only then auto-translate to the target language.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I used "special name" as synonym for "Language Specific Original Name" and have to agree that it was not a suitable term for clearness.

ZITAT
No. If you add a "real" user-defined entry to the Tag Panel, e.g., "Sortierung Interpret" for ARTISTSORT, Mp3tag would leave this untouched.

O.k. So I understood you right.

Anyway. After 8 years using MP3Tag I have to make a fresh installation to recognize which columns are original and which added or changed by me.
I think a list about these original names in the help-file would be helpful.

+Quote Post
dauma
post Dec 2 2017, 15:58
Post #25

Member No.: 24221

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Dec 2 2017, 12:44) *
Hello user dauma,

No one doubts that your initial observation is right.
You have also had the chance to see the reasoning behind the function that you grade as buggy behaviour.

What I would like to hear from you is how you think that the behaviour could become less bug-ridden and include the preservation user-defined labels and field definitions.

Hi.

U'd like to hear me as a developer? smile.gif I'm not sure if I have a permission or ability to do that.

To be clear, as poster said, it's a situation where many reasonable answer could be done. So there were other discussions. There were some tests by me, you can do these too. Let's make mp3tag better. That's what I'd like. Not arguing, not depressing, not bug related. I'm sorry I'm lithuanian and saw that.

And žirniai for all ya.

PS I think it's bug.

+Quote Post
Bobeca
post Dec 4 2017, 14:22
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 24239

I definitely think that this is a bug. It isn't normal for programs not to change fully their language.

My easy workaround:
-Install mp3tag but don't run it!
- Go to install dir and then go to the "lang" folder and delete all the language files that you don't need (just leave the one that you want).
-Start mp3tag and everything will be in one language.

If you have already run mp3tag the workaround won't work. You will have to uninstall it and install it again.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Dec 4 2017, 14:26
Post #27

Member No.: 11458

ZITAT(Bobeca @ Dec 4 2017, 14:22) *
I definitely think that this is a bug. It isn't normal for programs not to change fully their language.

If you read post #22 https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=99983 carefully, you will see that some labels will also not change in the future:
ZITAT
If you add a "real" user-defined entry to the Tag Panel, e.g., "Sortierung Interpret" for ARTISTSORT, Mp3tag would leave this untouched.

Just to not let expectations rise too high.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Dec 4 2017, 16:42

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Florian
post Jan 8 2018, 15:04
Post #28

Developer

I've added the proposed auto-translation of the default fields with the current Development Build Mp3tag v2.85k.

Thanks to all involved for participating in the discussion and for patience with me changing my mind about the topic.

Kind regards
— Florian

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 06:40