IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [File] cannot be opened for writing, [File] cannot be opened for writing
Kyte Logan
post Mar 22 2017, 04:46
Post #16

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 22739
Mp3tag Version: v2.79

QUOTE (poster @ Mar 21 2017, 17:27) *
Although it may not be possible to load all the files in most cases I see no necessarity for this.
I think it is very seldom necessary to have all files in memory and perform actions on all of them.

The dayly work is more to add new albums and tag them properly.
If someone has more than 50.000 files and wants to load them everytime in MP3Tag to my opinion it takes much too long.
The only case when I miss this abliity is when I make am export-list of all my files but even then it is no real problem to first load artists a-m and then maybe n-z and put the ouput together in one file.

I suppose we all have different needs. For my purposes, I need all loaded. I really prefer the mp3tag feel and interface to other options that I have tried over the years. I'm sure eventually a future version will overcome this barrier.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyte Logan
post Apr 24 2017, 20:20
Post #17

UPDATE:

As a recap, I was reluctantly forced to switch to another tag editor due to memory issues with so many files.

One if the features of the new editor is that it will list all of the different cover art images when editing a batch (e.g. an entire album). This allows me to edit a batch to the same image. (This is a feature that should be considered for future versions of MP3Tag.)

Due to this feature, I started a project to clean-up the cover art images. After editing a large number of files, I opened MP3Tag to see if the original problems persisted, and they do not. This tells me that the deleted "extra" images freed up lots of memory for the editor.

I also noticed that MP3Tag reads some dates as (for example) "2014\\2014" after some recent tag edits, which I have also seen after Audacity edits. This suggests some compatibility issues.

Note that when I right-click an image within MP3Tag and copy to another file, the two cover art images are not digitally identical.

Since I would eventually like to return to MP3Tag, I wanted to provide this follow-up and related observations.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Apr 24 2017, 20:25
Post #18

Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.81c

ZITAT(Kyte Logan @ Apr 24 2017, 21:20) *
I also noticed that MP3Tag reads some dates as (for example) "2014\\2014" after some recent tag edits, which I have also seen after Audacity edits. This suggests some compatibility issues....

MP3tag shows the contents of multi-value fields.
Apparently you got at least 2 YEAR fields. Check the extended tags dialogue.
Where do you see the compatibility issues?

Also, you can watch the task manager to see how much memory is still available.
Just as a reminder: MP3tag is a program for tagging and no administration program for a collection.
So just load those files that need tagging and those that you need for reference. I doubt that this must be all.

This post has been edited by ohrenkino: Apr 24 2017, 20:47

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
poster
post Apr 24 2017, 21:01
Post #19

Member No.: 9241
Mp3tag Version: 2.81b

ZITAT(Kyte Logan @ Apr 24 2017, 21:20) *
I also noticed that MP3Tag reads some dates as (for example) "2014\\2014" after some recent tag edits, which I have also seen after Audacity edits. This suggests some compatibility issues.

https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=87828

+Quote Post
Kyte Logan
post Apr 24 2017, 22:02
Post #20

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Apr 24 2017, 15:25) *
MP3tag shows the contents of multi-value fields.
Apparently you got at least 2 YEAR fields. Check the extended tags dialogue.
Where do you see the compatibility issues?

Also, you can watch the task manager to see how much memory is still available.
Just as a reminder: MP3tag is a program for tagging and no administration program for a collection.
So just load those files that need tagging and those that you need for reference. I doubt that this must be all.

First, thanks for the continued interest in this thread.

Second, why would Media Monkey and Audacity add a 2nd year field, resulting in the "2017//2017"? That is why I suggested compatibility issues, tho I assume that I am missing the term.

Third, as noted earlier, my purposes require loading all files. MP3Tag currently lists all of the various fields' populations as dropdown options when editing a batch, except for the cover art. I find this feature very helpful when cleaning up typos, etc. I am simply suggesting that this feature be extended to cover art in future versions.

+Quote Post
poster
post Apr 25 2017, 05:23
Post #21

Member No.: 9241
Mp3tag Version: 2.81b

ZITAT(Kyte Logan @ Apr 24 2017, 23:02) *
Second, why would Media Monkey and Audacity add a 2nd year field, resulting in the "2017//2017"? That is why I suggested compatibility issues, tho I assume that I am missing the term.

It's just a different opinion of what is standard.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Apr 25 2017, 06:14
Post #22

Member No.: 11458
Mp3tag Version: 2.81c

ZITAT(Kyte Logan @ Apr 24 2017, 23:02) *
...Second, why would Media Monkey and Audacity add a 2nd year field, resulting in the "2017//2017"? ...

Good question. Have you asked in their forums?
If you follow the link provided by user poster, you will see that MM maps certain other fields to year. And perhaps they don't want to loose any data and create a second YEAR field ...
As MP3tag accurately displays even the second (or more) YEAR field, I do not see any compatibility problems. I do see implementation problems on the side of the other programs.

What I don't understand: you ran into tagging problems because you reached the memory limit and it is still not possible to think of a different workflow?

Did you know that it is possible to d&d files from iTunes directly into MP3tag for editing? With (just as an example) iTunes as the administration program for the whole collection you could pinpoint exactly those files that are necessary to perform your current task. So you might save the MP3tag features and still access your whole collection.

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
Kyte Logan
post Apr 25 2017, 16:59
Post #23

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Apr 25 2017, 01:14) *
Good question. Have you asked in their forums?
If you follow the link provided by user poster, you will see that MM maps certain other fields to year. And perhaps they don't want to loose any data and create a second YEAR field ...
As MP3tag accurately displays even the second (or more) YEAR field, I do not see any compatibility problems. I do see implementation problems on the side of the other programs.

What I don't understand: you ran into tagging problems because you reached the memory limit and it is still not possible to think of a different workflow?

Did you know that it is possible to d&d files from iTunes directly into MP3tag for editing? With (just as an example) iTunes as the administration program for the whole collection you could pinpoint exactly those files that are necessary to perform your current task. So you might save the MP3tag features and still access your whole collection.

Haven't asked in their forums as I'm new to MM and just noticed the issue when I retested Mp3tag and Audacity is not a primarily a tag editor. It would appear to me that MM and Audacity see the same year field, with Mp3tag being the odd one out, tho perhaps if we considered more programs, the majority vote would come out differently.

I use iTunes for adding lyrics, but I don't like its interface and options for other tag edits. My workflow is the dog here, not the tail.

Again, my recent comments are designed to suggest improvements to Mp3tag, as I hope to come back to it in the future. We can always learn from how others do things.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2017 - 11:17