IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Notice!

Please take a minute to check our Frequently Asked Questions. Use Search to reveal possible related topics.

Also make sure you've read the Forum Guidelines before posting in this forum.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Run multiple instances possible?
NoToneS
post Jan 31 2010, 14:27
Post #1

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 11747
Mp3tag Version: 2.45b

Hi. is there a way to run the app in more than 1 instance? i sometimes need more than 1 copy running

--------------------
No'|'oneS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Florian
post Jan 31 2010, 17:29
Post #2

Developer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203
Mp3tag Version: 2.85

No.

--------------------
♫ If you like using Mp3tag please donate to support further development.

+Quote Post
NoToneS
post Jan 31 2010, 21:26
Post #3

QUOTE (Florian @ Jan 31 2010, 16:29) *
No.

.1)Future option mabie? "Yes." smile.gif
oh and ability to install to usbstick or network drive with the prefs stored in the apps folder or registry would be kinda useful.

or you can just ignore above as its still the Best mp3 editor ive ever used

--------------------
No'|'oneS

+Quote Post
Florian
post Jan 31 2010, 22:13
Post #4

Developer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 203

1. It's not planned at the moment.

2. Portable installation is already possible. See FAQ.

--------------------
♫ If you like using Mp3tag please donate to support further development.

+Quote Post
NoToneS
post Feb 6 2010, 02:06
Post #5

QUOTE (Florian @ Jan 31 2010, 21:13) *

2. Portable installation is already possible. See FAQ.

Thanks

--------------------
No'|'oneS

+Quote Post
parafux
post Aug 24 2014, 11:17
Post #6

Member No.: 19756
Mp3tag Version: 2.58

QUOTE (Florian @ Jan 31 2010, 23:13) *

any update, since it is 4 years ago? i need more than one instance also.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 24 2014, 11:22
Post #7

Member No.: 11458

ZITAT(parafux @ Aug 24 2014, 12:17) *
any update, since it is 4 years ago? i need more than one instance also.

no, everything just like before.
Perhaps, if you tell us the circumstances in which you needed it, then a modifcation in your workflow might solve the problem.

--------------------
42 - wie war die Frage / what was the question / quelle était la question

+Quote Post
parafux
post Aug 24 2014, 12:47
Post #8

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 24 2014, 12:22) *
no, everything just like before.
Perhaps, if you tell us the circumstances in which you needed it, then a modifcation in your workflow might solve the problem.

yes, i want to have one window (mp3tag) just to show all information of all 100 thousands of mp3 files
and at the same time i want to have another window (another instance of mp3 tag) where i edit only special (single) subdirectories.

to reload the complete list of 100 of thousands of files take long time, so i do not want to switch between this views.

hope that explains my need of multiple instances.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 24 2014, 18:52
Post #9

ZITAT(parafux @ Aug 24 2014, 13:47) *
yes, i want to have one window (mp3tag) just to show all information of all 100 thousands of mp3 files
and at the same time i want to have another window (another instance of mp3 tag) where i edit only special (single) subdirectories.

to reload the complete list of 100 of thousands of files take long time, so i do not want to switch between this views.

hope that explains my need of multiple instances.

The main problem with several instances is the need to keep the data consistent in both applications. So if you modify data in one, the other would have to be updated simultaneously.
The 100,000 tracks would probably be too many anyway. Too little memory for 32-bit applications.

But: if you want to display all files and then only a set of them, you may define a filter and toggle fairly quickly between the filtered and unfiltered view using F3. Not quite the same but definitely without the drawback of asynchronous views.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JJ Johnson
post Aug 25 2014, 06:28
Post #10

Member No.: 1742
Mp3tag Version: 2.84e

There are a couple of ways to work with single folders in Mp3tag.

The first is to load up your whole library and make sure that it is sorted by file path. When sorted like this, it's relatively easy to select a contiguous group of files from only one subfolder and to perform edits on only those files. You can use the Tag Panel (the form-like area on the left) to edit fields in all files, then hit 'Save'. Or, you can use converters, single actions, action groups, the Extended Tags dialog, etc. and the actions performed will only be applied to the selected files.

As mentioned above, prior to selecting files, you can use filtering (F3) to have Mp3tag only show file meeting some condition. But again, only selected files will be affected by any edits that you do, not all files loaded in Mp3tag.

I find that the easiest way to work with single folders (or subfolder trees) is to use Windows Explorer and use the context (right-click) menu in Explorer to launch Mp3tag with only a single folder of files. One nice thing about this is that it makes Mp3tag very fast to load. And, you don't even need to close Mp3tag between folders - each time you launch it, the new folder of files will replace the existing files.

One thing you could to do is use Mp3tag's export functionality to produce a listing of your whole library. You could use this to see where tags are missing, incorrect, etc. Then, from a Window Explorer window, you can can go through the directories, launching Mp3tag on folders as needed.

+Quote Post
parafux
post Aug 26 2014, 10:16
Post #11

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 24 2014, 19:52) *
The main problem with several instances is the need to keep the data consistent in both applications. So if you modify data in one, the other would have to be updated simultaneously.
The 100,000 tracks would probably be too many anyway. Too little memory for 32-bit applications.

why is there this special need. i dont need this simultaneously updates. whould be great if this is configurable

QUOTE (ohrenkino @ Aug 24 2014, 19:52) *
But: if you want to display all files and then only a set of them, you may define a filter and toggle fairly quickly between the filtered and unfiltered view using F3. Not quite the same but definitely without the drawback of asynchronous views.

there is no filter that i could use if i want to see only a special sub directory with all new albums ..... those can be different already existing artists/albums.

This post has been edited by parafux: Aug 26 2014, 10:22

+Quote Post
parafux
post Aug 26 2014, 10:20
Post #12

QUOTE (JJ Johnson @ Aug 25 2014, 07:28) *
There are a couple of ways to work with single folders in Mp3tag.

The first is to load up your whole library and make sure that it is sorted by file path. When sorted like this, it's relatively easy to select a contiguous group of files from only one subfolder and to perform edits on only those files. You can use the Tag Panel (the form-like area on the left) to edit fields in all files, then hit 'Save'. Or, you can use converters, single actions, action groups, the Extended Tags dialog, etc. and the actions performed will only be applied to the selected files.

i need to sort the whole library NOT after the file path but i switch between several views. so this is not a solution for me.

As mentioned above, prior to selecting files, you can use filtering (F3) to have Mp3tag only show file meeting some condition. But again, only selected files will be affected by any edits that you do, not all files loaded in Mp3tag.

as i wrote in my last reply there is no appropriate filter that i could use.

One thing you could to do is use Mp3tag's export functionality to produce a listing of your whole library. You could use this to see where tags are missing, incorrect, etc. Then, from a Window Explorer window, you can can go through the directories, launching Mp3tag on folders as needed.

no i want to work on the original GUI of mp3tag, that i know and i am familiar with.

+Quote Post
ohrenkino
post Aug 26 2014, 10:30
Post #13

In a way we could cut this discussion rather short: it is currently not possible to have more than one instance running.
All further reasoning is only intended to deepen the insight into this decision.
Which leads me to a reply to ..
ZITAT(parafux @ Aug 26 2014, 11:16) *
why is there this special need. i dont need this simultaneously updates.

If you have 2 windows that show data from the same source and scroll through them you would expect that they show the up-to-date data - because otherwise you would not know which window shows that what is really stored in the files.
I do not know if I am right but I assume that you want to have one window for the overall view and another one that shows only a section.
You then would probably do the modifications in the windows with the smaller section.
And then return and expect the new data to be displayed in the overall window.
That is why I think there must be a simultaneous update.
ZITAT
there is no filter that i could use if i want to see only a special sub directorie with all new albums ..... those can be different already existing artists/albums.

How do you select these files in the first place so that (if the function was there) appear in the second window?
You sure must have a certain word or a date or any other combination of properties that characterizes the files. And if you can say that you can express it in a filter.
It is possible to check the creation date of files or look at the path and filter it for certain words - and many other possibilities.
So perhaps a deeper look at the filter syntax may emulate that what you want to do with the 2 instances.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DetlevD
post Aug 26 2014, 12:53
Post #14

Member No.: 3194

QUOTE (parafux @ Aug 24 2014, 13:47) *
yes, i want to have one window (mp3tag) just to show all information of all 100 thousands of mp3 files ...

Hmm ... I could think of a commandline switch to start Mp3tag in a complete "read-only" mode.
This would reduce the load time to a minimum, because the inner transaction system of Mp3tag needs not to be active.
Mp3tag would read the files and their tags and display the values, nothing more.
Optional tag type setup, column sorting and the filter, of course, should work.
All other tag related features should be greyed out.

DD.20130826.1353.CEST

--------------------
* Beyond that, don't ask, when you don't know what to do with the answer. *
♥ home is where the heart is ♥

+Quote Post
JJ Johnson
post Aug 26 2014, 17:08
Post #15

Member No.: 1742
Mp3tag Version: 2.84e

QUOTE (parafux @ Aug 26 2014, 03:20) *
i need to sort the whole library NOT after the file path but i switch between several views. so this is not a solution for me.

This was in reference to wanting to work on a single folder. This is how it could be done in Mp3tag when you've loaded an entire library.

as i wrote in my last reply there is no appropriate filter that i could use.

Again, this is to facilitate working within a single folder, if you're overwhelmed by looking at all the files, you can filter the view so that you only see a single album or a single folder.

no i want to work on the original GUI of mp3tag, that i know and i am familiar with.

Well, good luck with that.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 14:47